Libellous taxi leaflet?

Back on this topic, do you agree then that old cars are less reliable than new cars, statistically speaking?

Nope, based on my long experience of Peugeots.

The 306 is far more reliable than its replacement the 307.

The 406 is far more reliable than its replacement the 407.

Although you will see a lot of 406 and 407 (but only one particular type of 407 - the X-LINE, which is the most reliable of the mdoel) diesel taxis. No private taxi owner is touching the new larger diesel Peugeots.

How bizarre. I think you disagree with me just for the sake of being argumentative to be honest.

You're also not actually answering the question.

Presumably you've had a long experience of 306's and 307's because you changed an old 306 and got a new 307.

So what you haven't got is any statistical evidence about how reliable a 306 continues to be as it gets older.

My question wasn't whether a new model of car was more reliable, it was whether a newer car was more reliable.

Is a 15 year old 306 likely to be less reliable than a 5 year old 306?

Is a 1 year old 307 likely to be less reliable than a 4 year old 307?

Obviously new cars still breakdown, but as a car ages the chance of a mechanical failure increases significantly.

The leaflet is informative and makes people think twice about using any taxi.

If the leaflet is libillous, it's up to the appropriate taxi company to take action against those responsible, for printing it. Some people on here are claiming its fraud. (I think that issue needs to be discussed by proper solicitors not back street lawyers )

To those that are saying that there's nothing wrong with this leaflet:

How long have you worked for the company responsible for producing it?

You can't get a 5 year old 306.

You can't get a 1 year old 307.

The 307 was phased out by the 308 a few years ago, and like when the 307 replaced the 306, the first release model is plagued with problems and feedback gets back to Peugeot who iron them out in the second release.

My experience with Peugeots is that I drive them and also am a leading contributor on a Peugeot forum and also do freelance diagnostics.

I might not have statistics to hand, but I do have first hand experience and if you bothered to spend some time looking into it you'd see the same results.

As cars age the chances of failure does increase, but on newer cars they now feature systems which weren't on the older ones, so you won't see a 306 or 406 with EGR problems, DPF problems, dual mass flywheel problems like modern Peugeots all get from 50,000 miles onwards.

But if you want to continue arguing the point to make yourself feel better, or just to pass the time, so be it. But perhaps you should just stick with subjects you know about (which doesn't include specific car reliabilities or IE8 it seems)

All cars are reliable these days if maintain to the manufactuers standards, and this is where it falls down, which taxi driver is willing to pay the full service charge at least 2 or 3 times a year as per their mileage, ?? not many.

Some of the reasons for an age limit are

Green issues, a council can get fined now if they dont meet targets on emmissions within a city area, whether we agree of disagree with these issues or not they are there and if a council has a policy on age for its vehicles it uses for public use then its another boxed tick,

Safety is there as well - newer vehicle have different safety standards and new things fitted as standard than older vehicles -

Rear seat belts - ABS - side impact protection, passenger air bags, driver air bags, crumple zones, etc

These all improve with newer vehicles, ???

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 12:14 ----------

As per my last post

The rules in sheffield are

5 years old when they are first licensed - hardly a young vehicle and readily available at auctions.,

PHV - normal saloon cars, - 9 years old and then off,

HCV - london cabs 15 -years old then off,

Unless exceptional circumstances - recent court case in Sheffield allowed a 16yr old cab to stay licensed.

You also have to remember that normal "family saloon cars" are built with normal wear and tear in mind, the insurance companies allow up 12k a year to be classed as avaerage mileage a Private hire vehicle will do 2 to 3 times that amount therefore litterally a vehicle that is 8 years old as phv may have done the same work as a 24 year old vehicle ?

Lets all have a gentle reminder of the Leaflet that was originally posted

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Anyone else had a strange leaflet through the door today?

I won't name the firms it mentions, but the text goes something like this:

ATTENTION!

TO ALL TAXI USERS

Please don't be fooled by ILLEGAL taxi companies like (taxi firm name) who are based in Rotherham.

These companies from out of the Sheffield area are NOT LICENSED by Sheffield City Council!

To make sure you get in the right taxi, please make check the vehicle is licensed by Sheffield City Council.

DON'T put you or your family in DANGER!

Support your LOCAL taxi companies approved by Sheffield City Council.

(The leaflet then lists four Sheffield taxi firms, giving details of their tarrifs)

All cars and drivers licensed by Sheffield City Council are FULLY INSURED and CRB checked.

Thank you.

As far as I can tell, this leaflet is not an official Sheffield City Council leaflet. In fact, there are no clues on the thing about the identity of its producers.

I'm pretty sure it's libellous (which is why I haven't included any names).

You can't get a 5 year old 306.

You can't get a 1 year old 307.

So adjust the numbers for ones that do work.

The 307 was phased out by the 308 a few years ago, and like when the 307 replaced the 306, the first release model is plagued with problems and feedback gets back to Peugeot who iron them out in the second release.

I don't believe that I specified that new models were more reliable than old models. I said that older cars were less reliable.

My experience with Peugeots is that I drive them and also am a leading contributor on a Peugeot forum and also do freelance diagnostics.

I might not have statistics to hand, but I do have first hand experience and if you bothered to spend some time looking into it you'd see the same results.

I seriously doubt that I would.

As cars age the chances of failure does increase

So, you do agree.

but on newer cars they now feature systems which weren't on the older ones, so you won't see a 306 or 406 with EGR problems, DPF problems, dual mass flywheel problems like modern Peugeots all get from 50,000 miles onwards.

But if you want to continue arguing the point to make yourself feel better, or just to pass the time, so be it. But perhaps you should just stick with subjects you know about (which doesn't include specific car reliabilities or IE8 it seems)

There's no need to continue at all, you've agree with me

As cars age the chances of failure does increase

I think it's quite clear that I know more about IE8 and web development than you do. But that's for another thread.

I expect you know a lot more about Peugoets than I do. But you're trying to score points by picking fault with a self evident statement. I doubt that anyone else in their right mind would argue that older cars are more reliable than newer ones.

Sheffield City Council don't seem interested about controlling the Private Hire Taxi's. There are literally dozens of unbooked Private Hire vehicles plying for trade in the city centre at the weekend. Two weeks ago I was approached three times by these private hire vehicles whilst waiting for a empty black cab to pass.

Archived