Max Clifford arrested for alleged sexual offences.

I am coming to the conclusion that there should be a time limit after which an alleged offence can not be prosecuted.

Also there should be a limit to the time that can pass before an allegation is made.

Exceptions to this would include murder and other very serious offences.

I am coming to the conclusion that there should be a time limit after which an alleged offence can not be prosecuted.

Also there should be a limit to the time that can pass before an allegation is made.

........but it's not called the long arm of the law for nothing! and what does other very serious offences mean?

........but it's not called the long arm of the law for nothing! and what does other very serious offences mean?

Other serious offences would have to be determined by the judiciary and parliament.

All this brings into focus the reason for custodial sentences. Are they to rehabilitate a person to prevent future offending or purely punishment.

There are such time limits:

a. in some other legal systems; and

b. even in English law (but generally only civil cases: Limitation Act 1980).

Other serious offences would have to be determined by the judiciary and parliament.

You avoided the question. Serious offences are determined by the judiciary and parliament. You already determined that murder is 'serious' and by default sex abuse isn't because of crime timeline? What is it you would like to see changed regarding historical sex offences and why, considering you've made a 'conclusion'.?

Are they to rehabilitate a person to prevent future offending or purely punishment

Why does it have to be purely punishment? what about 'purely justice'. bear in mind there is still a victim who requires justice at the least..

Edited by cassity

There are different levels and types of of abuse ranging from touching to violent rape that is why I gave the answer I did. Sexual offences committed against children and offences committed against adults are separate issues and need considering differently.

The government have to decide which types of offences can be pursued and prosecuted after a certain passage of time

I do not consider it appropriate for someone to report another for touching them 40 years ago after the crime was committed when both were adults.

Attitudes and acceptable behaviour change over the years and so do people. Remember we are talking of over 30 years ago and more in some instances.

I would like you to explain what you consider purely justice.

Would an apology suffice or do you also want punishment ?

What do you consider is the purpose of custodial sentences ?

Punishment or rehabilitation ?

If the answer is rehabilitation of an offender to prevent further offending what is the point of jailing old men who have not offended for many years.