YELLOW PAGES,just a place to attract nuisance calls

This week I have received 27 nuisance calls(upto Thurs)from companies offering various services all of which I have no need.

All of these phone calls begin with the same words 'I got your number from yell.com'.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my Yell/pages account due to this,it keeps stopping me from working and will one day be a cause of an accident ,I work at heights

I have to answer my phone in case its a customer.

Can these companies carry on cold calling,especially as almost every time they call I explain my circumstances at work.

What can I do to stop it:confused:

This week I have received 27 nuisance calls(upto Thurs)from companies offering various services all of which I have no need.

All of these phone calls begin with the same words 'I got your number from yell.com'.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my Yell/pages account due to this,it keeps stopping me from working and will one day be a cause of an accident ,I work at heights

I have to answer my phone in case its a customer.

Can these companies carry on cold calling,especially as almost every time they call I explain my circumstances at work.

What can I do to stop it:confused:

Personally I'll only answer calls from mobiles and local landlines unless I'm expecting a call from a particular company/person. The rest go to voicemail, if it's important then they'll leave a message, the majority of calls from 0845, 0800 numbers etc leave no message. That cuts out about 90% of cold calls.

Depending on what your business is whatever you're paying Yell for your advert I'd spend on google adwords instead, much more flexible, you can turn it on and off at any time and can really target your advertising to the exact type of customers/.work you're interested in. Plus you're not giving money to yell who seem to employ some of the rudest and most dishonest coldcallers i've had the misfortune to speak to.

a lot of these calls are from normal numbers which I have to answer,maybe this is a new ploy by these companies.

I did look into google adwords but yellow pages contacted me with very limited time to get my ad re-registered in time for next year,so i had to do it or risk missing out on new customers.

maybe this was another ploy.

perhaps I'll try a different way to advertise next year given more timre to arrange.

Personally I'll only answer calls from mobiles and local landlines unless I'm expecting a call from a particular company/person. The rest go to voicemail, if it's important then they'll leave a message, the majority of calls from 0845, 0800 numbers etc leave no message. That cuts out about 90% of cold calls.

Depending on what your business is whatever you're paying Yell for your advert I'd spend on google adwords instead, much more flexible, you can turn it on and off at any time and can really target your advertising to the exact type of customers/.work you're interested in. Plus you're not giving money to yell who seem to employ some of the rudest and most dishonest coldcallers i've had the misfortune to speak to.

Do you have your own web site to promote your business rather than having to depend on business directories? I have heard bad things about Yell and BT selling services that businesses don't need and hiding the monthly cost of services.

• 2 months later...

Archived