Starbucks ends paid lunch breaks & sick leave.

People turning away from Starbucks? Personally I've never been into Starbucks. And to be honest anyone who could get away without paying tax has got my admiration. This is another example of our rotten mp's taking the moral high ground.

Starbucks pay more tax, so the customers have to pay more. I don't see who is gaining anything here. The tax gets filtered back to us in the form of benefits and services, after several layers of bureaucrats have taken their share. Wouldn't it be more efficient to let people keep their money and pay for the services themselves?

Starbucks pay more tax, so the customers have to pay more. I don't see who is gaining anything here. The tax gets filtered back to us in the form of benefits and services, after several layers of bureaucrats have taken their share. Wouldn't it be more efficient to let people keep their money and pay for the services themselves?

There's no correlation in this case between tax paid and customers paying more.

Starbucks compete with both large organisations and small, their pricing is set by what they can get away with charging to maintain/grow their market share.

If they choose to avoid tax with inflated internal pricing or pay their share does not affect what they can get away with charging customers. It affects the return their investors get, but not customers.

Starbucks are franchises so would think it is down to the person running it.

That's not quite the whole story as I understand it.

The coffee giant Starbucks has revealed it will open its first franchise stores in the UK later this year, following one of its best December trading periods.

Starbucks UK also revealed that it will invest £8m in refurbishing an additional 70 London stores ahead of this summer's Olympic Games, including six more high-profile renovations at shops in the capital's West End and City.

Kris Engskov, the managing director of Starbucks UK and Ireland, described the decision as "significant", as it would enable the coffee chain to open up stores in small towns where a franchisee would be able to contribute their local knowledge.

Starbucks said last month it plans to open 300 outlets over the next five years, of which a third will come from its licence agreement with the petrol forecourt retailer Euro Garages.

Mr Engskov said Starbucks UK was talking to potential franchisees and hoped to have the first such store open before the end of this year.

But he stressed that the franchise model would remain a small part of its overall business, with the majority of its stores continuing to be company-owned.

"I think it is strategically significant. This is by far the most competitive espresso market in the world – more than the US – particularly in London.

"So you have to be open to exploring every lever."

Starbucks, which has nearly 750 stores throughout the country, does not provide UK sales figures. But Mr Engskov said that, following 10 quarters of sales growth, the UK and Ireland enjoyed some of its "busiest trading ever in December".

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/buoyant-starbucks-gets-set-to-open-franchise-stores-in-uk-6295472.html

Starbucks UK also revealed that it will invest £8m in refurbishing an additional 70 London stores ahead of this summer's Olympic Games, including six more high-profile renovations at shops in the capital's West End and City.

Starbucks said last month it plans to open 300 outlets over the next five years.

Starbucks, which has nearly 750 stores throughout the country, does not provide UK sales figures. But Mr Engskov said that, following 10 quarters of sales growth, the UK and Ireland enjoyed some of its "busiest trading ever in December".

Strange that, opening 750 stores in UK, despite Starbucks claims not to be making a profit in the UK!

Archived