Starbucks ends paid lunch breaks & sick leave.

Yep, saw that. It is a shame the franchise owners are negatively impacted by the parent companies policies. Even though they only represent a small part of the business I wonder if they can form some kind of lobby to push for change internally.

The franchisees are offering vicarious endorsement to the franchisers,so they must take steps to remedy this situation.In addition they could offer their employees better working conditions without jeopardising their contracts with Big Daddy Starbucks.

The vast majority of Starbucks stores in the UK have been owned and operated by Stabucks. There was not that much franchising until this year. So if you want to consider the behaviour of the company with regards to its tax over the past few years it's best to leave franchisees out of it - they are not representative of the way Starbucks has been operating here for the past few years.

New franchisees will obviously be thinking what the heck they got themselves into. The Starbucks business model seemed so robust until about a month ago.

The demo in town today was good fun.

The vast majority of Starbucks stores in the UK have been owned and operated by Stabucks. There was not that much franchising until this year. So if you want to consider the behaviour of the company with regards to its tax over the past few years it's best to leave franchisees out of it - they are not representative of the way Starbucks has been operating here for the past few years.

New franchisees will obviously be thinking what the heck they got themselves into. The Starbucks business model seemed so robust until about a month ago.

The demo in town today was good fun.

Oh I'm sure it was a grand day out, so when are UK Uncut going to draw some attention to Amazon & Google.

Great idea apart from one tiny detail. Won't they simply manufacture their vacuum cleaners/motor cars, aeroplanes etc somewhere else? A tiny detail I know.

But that's fine because they don't add any net value to our economy - they're paying employees minimum wage, charging customers for things that aren't worth the price, and then moving all the profits abroad anyway - while the British tax-payers subsidise their parasitic behaviour.

So if they want to go and drain some other country's wealth instead of ours, they can. It only creates a niche for our own manufacturers.

But that's fine because they don't add any net value to our economy - they're paying employees minimum wage, charging customers for things that aren't worth the price, and then moving all the profits abroad anyway - while the British tax-payers subsidise their parasitic behaviour.

So if they want to go and drain some other country's wealth instead of ours, they can. It only creates a niche for our own manufacturers.

I think we would all manage rather nicely with a few less cups of coffee and I can see a business opportunity in knocking out designer vacuum flasks,and folding chairs:hihi:

Good post.

The only people who will suffer will be the people who lose their jobs, but hey, when other coffee companies replace them, hopefully they can apply for those jobs.

The only people who will suffer will be the people who lose their jobs, but hey, when other coffee companies replace them, hopefully they can apply for those jobs.

problem is, i think costa, starbucks cafe nero to a degree created the market, before they were particularly popular, if you wanted a coffee, you had to go to a cafe and got instant in a styrofoam cup, or you could go to a department store and get bitchumen in a cup.

They are their own market, and the independent ones are trying to get in on the trend.

problem is, i think costa, starbucks cafe nero to a degree created the market, before they were particularly popular, if you wanted a coffee, you had to go to a cafe and got instant in a styrofoam cup, or you could go to a department store and get bitchumen in a cup.

They are their own market, and the independent ones are trying to get in on the trend.

They are not their own market. They have a basic model of offering slightly better than average products at premium prices in comfortable surroundings. Restaurants, hotels and pubs have been doing it for years.

There are few barriers to entry in this market - the existing shops have no monopoly over the base products and there is no shortage of available premises. In fact if people are looking for alternatives to the big chains then new independent shops could offer a better deal, maybe better coffee (and tea) at lower prices and in less corporate surroundings.

As a basic business model it's ripe for copying.

They are not their own market. They have a basic model of offering slightly better than average products at premium prices in comfortable surroundings. Restaurants, hotels and pubs have been doing it for years.

There are few barriers to entry in this market - the existing shops have no monopoly over the base products and there is no shortage of available premises. In fact if people are looking for alternatives to the big chains then new independent shops could offer a better deal, maybe better coffee (and tea) at lower prices and in less corporate surroundings.

As a basic business model it's ripe for copying.

a restaurant and pub isnt a coffee shop though. I would feel a right tool sat in a pub with a coffee asking for a linzer biscuit, or a frothy whatever it is you get at starbucks, and i dont know any restaurants that would welcome you in for just a coffee.

the comfortable coffee shop with fast service, decent coffee quiet relaxed atmosphere is fairly new in the UK, and its the marketing from the big chains that has done it. even 10 years ago it was pretty rare.

Also, I have to say, that sadly, the independent coffee shops tend to be a bit more like an upgrade on a sandwich shop, the coffee isnt usually as good as costa, they lack things like air conditioning, all the comfy seating, wifi etc etc. the only thing they tend to be better at is the offering of cakes.

thats why the independents are cheaper, you get less for your money

id also like to point out that I have been to starbucks exactly once, hated every moment of it and it cost me over a fiver for a cup of coffee.

as a slight aside, it seems that starbucks is for kids, scallies and ponces, costa is more people in their 30s who want a bit of quiet, slightly more upmarket and cafe nero is older folk again but a closer simile to costa - starbucks is way out on its own.

Archived