Starbucks ends paid lunch breaks & sick leave.

The only people who will suffer will be the people who lose their jobs, but hey, when other coffee companies replace them, hopefully they can apply for those jobs.

If Starbucks left they could start their own coffee shops and keep the money in the UK.

If Starbucks left they could start their own coffee shops and keep the money in the UK.

and how is someone who is a barista going to afford to open a coffee shop? The franchies are expensive enough, let alone being completely independent.

and how is someone who is a barista going to afford to open a coffee shop? The franchies are expensive enough, let alone being completely independent.

As I understand it, the uk is Starbucks second biggest market. Are they really going to throw the toys out after having to pay tax on profits ?

I doubt they're that stupid. In fact I know they arent. They've come and said they will play with a straight bat and pay corporation tax, so when the next big company gets caught paying nowt they can come across all angelic and say "we pay tax !". It's pr gold.

a restaurant and pub isnt a coffee shop though. I would feel a right tool sat in a pub with a coffee asking for a linzer biscuit, or a frothy whatever it is you get at starbucks, and i dont know any restaurants that would welcome you in for just a coffee.

the comfortable coffee shop with fast service, decent coffee quiet relaxed atmosphere is fairly new in the UK, and its the marketing from the big chains that has done it. even 10 years ago it was pretty rare.

Also, I have to say, that sadly, the independent coffee shops tend to be a bit more like an upgrade on a sandwich shop, the coffee isnt usually as good as costa, they lack things like air conditioning, all the comfy seating, wifi etc etc. the only thing they tend to be better at is the offering of cakes.

thats why the independents are cheaper, you get less for your money

id also like to point out that I have been to starbucks exactly once, hated every moment of it and it cost me over a fiver for a cup of coffee.

as a slight aside, it seems that starbucks is for kids, scallies and ponces, costa is more people in their 30s who want a bit of quiet, slightly more upmarket and cafe nero is older folk again but a closer simile to costa - starbucks is way out on its own.

Sigh. I'm not saying that pubs and hotels are coffee shops. I'm saying that the premium coffee shop model is not totally new. It's been done with other types of business selling other types of products.

Costa coffee is ok, nowt special. I only ever bought something in Starbucks once because my lad wanted one of their milkshake things. The price was ridiculous and after all the fuss he didn't even like it. It was a bit like a McDonalds in there.

There are much, much better (independent) places to get coffee in Sheffield anyway. On my side of town Bragazzis or Cafe #9 for example.

Why not? Maybe the barista might know a potential business partner with the required capital. Are you against people using their skills to start up businesses?

Why not? Maybe the barista might know a potential business partner with the required capital. Are you against people using their skills to start up businesses?

not at all, but its not all that likely that the 20 people that work at one starbucks branch are going to start up coffee shops in the same locale

and cafes arent coffee shops, they are a distinct business model

We are in a double-dip recession but can afford to keep dozens of 'coffee shops' in profit in Sheffield alone. Why would I want to pay ten quid for a couple of coffees and buns, flapjack or some other finger food? I just don't get it.

We are in a double-dip recession but can afford to keep dozens of 'coffee shops' in profit in Sheffield alone. Why would I want to pay ten quid for a couple of coffees and buns, flapjack or some other finger food? I just don't get it.

well, one way to look at it is that rather than going to the pub, having 4 pints costing £12, you can have a coffee, walk around, another coffee for under £5

where did people go to to sit down for a chat 15 years ago?

Archived