Starbucks ends paid lunch breaks & sick leave.

Costa coffee is ok, nowt special. I only ever bought something in Starbucks once because my lad wanted one of their milkshake things. The price was ridiculous and after all the fuss he didn't even like it. It was a bit like a McDonalds in there.

There are much, much better (independent) places to get coffee in Sheffield anyway. On my side of town Bragazzis or Cafe #9 for example.

You are missing the point here.

People go to these high end coffee shops for the atmosphere and a better class of clientele. Not everyone wants to be sat opposite a lorry driver or labourer slurping coffee from a saucer.

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 23:14 ----------

I've never used a Starbucks before but now curious to find out what all the fuss is about, definitley gonna try one tomorrow and order something special so exactly what would you all recommend?

Get well and truly ripped off with a muffin.

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 23:15 ----------

well, one way to look at it is that rather than going to the pub, having 4 pints costing £12, you can have a coffee, walk around, another coffee for under £5

where did people go to to sit down for a chat 15 years ago?

McDonalds.

well, one way to look at it is that rather than going to the pub, having 4 pints costing £12, you can have a coffee, walk around, another coffee for under £5

where did people go to to sit down for a chat 15 years ago?

We went to a cafe and had tea (or coffee) and something to eat probably. There was a place on Chapel Walk that was a bit self-service (with a tray) but it provided a respite from shopping and a toilet break. There were "Golden Eggs" and "Wimpys" but not much else. Brand loyalty was a twinkle on someone's eye back then.

There was no 'fast food' other than Gregs. We weren't herded into corporate "cages". Pubs did more lunchtime trade too.

I've never used a Starbucks before but now curious to find out what all the fuss is about, definitley gonna try one tomorrow and order something special so exactly what would you all recommend?

Just don't look at the calorie content, coffee and a muffin can be close to 1000 calories.

You are missing the point here.

People go to these high end coffee shops for the atmosphere and a better class of clientele. Not everyone wants to be sat opposite a lorry driver or labourer slurping coffee from a saucer.

Nope, you are missing the point. The chains are not the only high-end coffee shops. Their prices are certainly but there are much better places to get a coffee, and they're not the traditional cafes you think I'm talking about.

The chains are based on people thinking they are getting a high quality product when in reality, while the beverages are above average, the drinks are really nothing to write home about. It's nowhere near as good as it should be for the price.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 00:35 ----------

not at all, but its not all that likely that the 20 people that work at one starbucks branch are going to start up coffee shops in the same locale

and cafes arent coffee shops, they are a distinct business model

Sigh again. Of course not all the baristas at a Starbucks branch are going to start their own shops. One or two might. Or do you think they should have their enthusiasm beaten out of them before they do anything so audacious as providing alternatives to global mega-chains.

The two places I've mentioned so far (Bragazzis and Cafe #9) are not greasy spoon cafes. Very very far from it. Try em out.

Nope, you are missing the point. The chains are not the only high-end coffee shops. Their prices are certainly but there are much better places to get a coffee, and they're not the traditional cafes you think I'm talking about.

The chains are based on people thinking they are getting a high quality product when in reality, while the beverages are above average, the drinks are really nothing to write home about. It's nowhere near as good as it should be for the price.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 00:35 ----------

Sigh again. Of course not all the baristas at a Starbucks branch are going to start their own shops. One or two might. Or do you think they should have their enthusiasm beaten out of them before they do anything so audacious as providing alternatives to global mega-chains.

The two places I've mentioned so far (Bragazzis and Cafe #9) are not greasy spoon cafes. Very very far from it. Try em out.

sigh again, if starbucks close down, a few independents arent going to provide the same levels of employment and benefits as a chain with over 150,000 employees worldwide

sigh again, if starbucks close down, a few independents arent going to provide the same levels of employment and benefits as a chain with over 150,000 employees worldwide

Starbucks isn't necessarily going to close down. It already survives against increasing numbers of competitor shops as it is. Why shouldn't some of those competitors be independents?

Your argument against entrepreneurial activity is absolutely the worst I've seen. You are defending a global mega chain that is paying no tax here and willing to treat its staff like crap. Are you saying that is better than people having their own businesses and that they should be low-waged corporate drones instead.

Starbucks isn't necessarily going to close down. It already survives against increasing numbers of competitor shops as it is. Why shouldn't some of those competitors be independents?

Your argument against entrepreneurial activity is absolutely the worst I've seen. You are defending a global mega chain that is paying no tax here and willing to treat its staff like crap. Are you saying that is better than people having their own businesses and that they should be low-waged corporate drones instead.

Isn't it a shame we can't all go back to the small individual personalised village type shops, instead of relying on brand names at large shopping malls.

The high street is doomed.

Reportersnnnnnn

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 16:22 ----------

Great idea apart from one tiny detail. Won't they simply manufacture their vacuum cleaners/motor cars, aeroplanes etc somewhere else? A tiny detail I know.

And I know just the place.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 08:39 ----------

Some of you who have been lucky enough to visit the US may have come across Dunkin' Donuts. Its by far the best coffee in the world, reasonably priced and everywhere. Since I've never heard anyone complain about it in the UK, I assume its not there. You are the world's biggest complainers, so I must be right.:hihi:

Archived