Starbucks ends paid lunch breaks & sick leave.

They can take their donuts and grovel at the doorstep of Krispy Kreme, but the coffee they do is as you say, fantastic.

IF it was over here theough they'd complain about everything and if they could find anything specific they'd complain it was "Too American.". You can't win.

Starbucks isn't necessarily going to close down. It already survives against increasing numbers of competitor shops as it is. Why shouldn't some of those competitors be independents?

Your argument against entrepreneurial activity is absolutely the worst I've seen. You are defending a global mega chain that is paying no tax here and willing to treat its staff like crap. Are you saying that is better than people having their own businesses and that they should be low-waged corporate drones instead.

sigh again.

I am not against entrepreneurial activity. I havent said starbucks is going to close down, small businesses are known for having poor staff benefits, even compared to starbucks. The announced slashes to the benefits are still better than many companies, and better than people in jobs such as building or working for small companies

start your own coffee shop but you will struggle to compete with the chains, like I have said before.

You think its the worst argument against it because I'm not arguing against it. I dont even know what your argument is?

Yes they do.

All the money they turnover goes overseas where their accounts are done and then they report a 'loss' in the UK to avoid paying tax.

the very cynical amongst us might think that the government is pointing out these large companies avoiding tax to take the spotlight off all the schemes that the very rich partake with

They can take their donuts and grovel at the doorstep of Krispy Kreme, but the coffee they do is as you say, fantastic.

IF it was over here theough they'd complain about everything and if they could find anything specific they'd complain it was "Too American.". You can't win.

You can say what you like, but Krispy Kreme has all but vanished from here, and good riddance. What a load of garbage.

sigh again.

I am not against entrepreneurial activity. I havent said starbucks is going to close down, small businesses are known for having poor staff benefits, even compared to starbucks. The announced slashes to the benefits are still better than many companies, and better than people in jobs such as building or working for small companies

start your own coffee shop but you will struggle to compete with the chains, like I have said before.

You think its the worst argument against it because I'm not arguing against it. I dont even know what your argument is?

My point is that Starbucks don't have a monopoly of coffee or on creating a comfortable atmosphere to drink it in.

You seem to be arguing that nobody can compete with them and shouldn't even try. It seems to be a kind of big business knows best attitude. I'm guessing you're either a very loyal customer or perhaps an employee?

My point is that Starbucks don't have a monopoly of coffee or on creating a comfortable atmosphere to drink it in.

You seem to be arguing that nobody can compete with them and shouldn't even try. It seems to be a kind of big business knows best attitude. I'm guessing you're either a very loyal customer or perhaps an employee?

As said before, I have only been once, and wont be going again. I also dont work for starbucks.

The point I am making is that big businesses like costa etc can easily provide what customers want whereas an individual would have to fund everything, and thats why the independent coffee shops are almost always less comfortable, have worse coffee, worse service, are usually sweltering in summer, and its because they cant compete with the economies of scale that a big chain has.

I would gladly use an independent if its better than the chains but I am yet to find one.

The other advantage of chains is that you always get the same whether you walk into the one in meadowhall or chesterfield or sheffield.

And, further to all of this, lots of the independents use illy coffee, again, because of the cost of operating the machine they have to join a service agreement much like a brewery in a pub, thus they arent really independent.

The above applies to many other businesses, not just coffee shops

Archived