Outdoor christmas/string lights - how do they work

Electricity, I know.

What I'm really asking, is where they should be plugged in.

We bought some 'outdoor' fairy lights from B&Q last week, when we got them home they had a transformer that needed to be plugged in indoors.

So in what way are they outdoor lights? Am I supposed to leave a door open to feed them through?

I see people on my street with things hanging from the eaves of the house, and tree's all lit up, where are they powering them from, indoors?

I plug mine into a socket in the cellar, then out through a ventliation grille.

I've got some outdoor sockets, but I don't use them for this purpose, in case it rains excessively. Not that that is likely to happen:)

they're plugged into a socket in the garage and the wires are fed over the garage door.
This.

But I plug ours (3 small sets) into a fused and surge-protected tray with an on-off button.

Easy-on, easy-off, and reasonably safe.

This.

But I plug ours (3 small sets) into a fused and surge-protected tray with an on-off button.

Easy-on, easy-off, and reasonably safe.

Agreed, I also add a timer to the circuit.

Just a dozen small trees lining the drive, a few hundred lights around the garages and a string of lights in the pear tree.

I've got a waterproof and RCD'd socket outside. But if I plugged in the indoor transformer from B&Q it wouldn't have lasted through the weather we've had in the last few days...

That's why I cut the transformers off mine and wound my own transformer up - the supplied ones had no weather protection at all. Sadly they supply them like that when they manifestly pointless for the task unless you can run cables from inside.

Just a dozen small trees lining the drive, a few hundred lights around the garages and a string of lights in the pear tree.
This somehow reads like it should be sung as a carol...

..."On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me..." :hihi:

Archived