Outdoor christmas/string lights - how do they work

We feed one wire through the window and close it, modern upvc windows accept it.

The other two sets plug into an outdoor box,this is powered from indoors but is waterproof for the transformers to plug into. It's up all year so works for hoovering the car etc etc

Ooof, bit pricey though!

I have my "outdoor lights" plugged in inside the garage, with the door closed on the thin wires. In previous years I've done the same with them coming out of the living room window (routed as neatly as possible using tie-wraps and blu-tac). Usually the wires are thin enough that you can close the window and the rubber seal will compress around them without any damage.

The problem I always had was that the wires just weren't long enough before the lights started. When I found a set in Wilkos that you can by a 20metre extension for (£3), it enabled me to plug them in the garage and still reach where I need them to be.

I've gone with the garage solution for some of them, they could do with a longer 'blank' section though.

I've ordered one of those boxes, along with a caravan mains cable (not armoured, but designed to be out for long periods in the weather), and will run that down the garden to the waterproof box thing.

I'll report back on how well this arrangement works.

I've gone with the garage solution for some of them, they could do with a longer 'blank' section though.

I've ordered one of those boxes, along with a caravan mains cable (not armoured, but designed to be out for long periods in the weather), and will run that down the garden to the waterproof box thing.

I'll report back on how well this arrangement works.

See my post Cyclone, the only place I could find extensions (blank section) was Wilkinsons

Thats what i have, only paid about £20 from B&Q to be honest.

Depending where you buy your lights from i.e not Poundstretcher, several decent brands supply "extensions" for their own lights.

We bought one about 10m long with our first lights.

Archived