Outdoor christmas/string lights - how do they work

See my post Cyclone, the only place I could find extensions (blank section) was Wilkinsons

Yeah, I had a look around the Hillsborough branch after you posted it, but they don't seem to have any.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 09:06 ----------

Thats what i have, only paid about £20 from B&Q to be honest.

Depending where you buy your lights from i.e not Poundstretcher, several decent brands supply "extensions" for their own lights.

We bought one about 10m long with our first lights.

I have an eclectic collection, none of them appear to be branded, and as the cables appear to be fixed to the transformers I don't think they can be extended.

One of them came from John Lewis according to my wife, so it's not from poundstretchers, but still isn't extendable.

I've gone with the garage solution for some of them, they could do with a longer 'blank' section though.

I've ordered one of those boxes, along with a caravan mains cable (not armoured, but designed to be out for long periods in the weather), and will run that down the garden to the waterproof box thing.

I'll report back on how well this arrangement works.

I got a set of lights from Wilkos,they were a "best buy" in last month's Gardening Which..there's 8 metres of cable between the transformer and the first l.e.d....plugged into the garage and then tie wrapped under the gutter..mind you we live in a bungalow so that makes it a bit easier I suppose..

Yeah, I had a look around the Hillsborough branch after you posted it, but they don't seem to have any.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 09:06 ----------

I have an eclectic collection, none of them appear to be branded, and as the cables appear to be fixed to the transformers I don't think they can be extended.

One of them came from John Lewis according to my wife, so it's not from poundstretchers, but still isn't extendable.

You could always cut and splice a section in, using solder and sealant. Most are only 12v or less (after the transformer)

I'm not that bothered, it just means that there are fairy lights across the front yard between the porch roof and the hedge.

I suppose I could use a standard electrical extension and a plastic bag to waterproof it, allowing me to position them in a more aesthetically pleasing way, but it works as it is :-)

Archived