How much a week for a single person to eat reasonably healthy?

I agree £20's fine for one person ... apart from growing my own produce (sadly not), reckon, at a push, just from a decent veggie shop, and butchers, you could eat healthily for a week for £14. I'm so intrigued by this, I'm going to try it out starting Tuesday (I still have left-over lamb stew from the weekend which'll be finished tomorrow)

This is only for one person, mind, and I don't intend to starve. I also eat well ... I reckon I can do it for twelve quid possibly. I've no intention of eating rubbish. I'd be very interested if O/P or anyone else would like to be involved in this. All food will be bought, not grown. Nothing (apart from spices) can be used from the kitchen cupboard.

Beef lasagne with home-made garlic bread should last a three days ... bechamel sauce, garlic, mince and mushrooms (Ok ... using Cheddar) Bread's very easy to make.

Jacket potatoes with truffle oil and chestnut mushrooms ... sounds expensive, but isn't. Nothing wrong with beans on the toast (which is the leftover bread you made)

I must admit, I always spend a lot more ... I like cooking, just for other people ... not that bothered myself if I feel full at the end of it. Beans on toast (and some fruit) will cost less than a fiver a week.

You'll easily do it. It'll be a good thing to use as a link for the poverty debates :)

When I've been out trucking for the 5 days that is, 3 meals a day plus drinks not bought from a cafe costs a lot more than £25 with tea milk this is a decent I'm talking about a diet that you can work on costs a least £40 per week for a single person, and that is not having any truck stop dinners or burger kings,I think if you can live on crap and drink tap water you might be able to do it for £25 not an life I would like to live and not very healthy ether,its the things you don't think about like butter milk sugar eggs bread and any kind of vegetables cost money things you need for a decent healthy life,not eating properly and not getting the right vitamins can course all sorts of heath problems.

Butter and sugar are not required for a healthy diet, milk £1 for 2 litres, bread wholemeal 70p and should last a week, if you are greedy :D 2 a week should do.

Frozen mixed veg £1.10 per 1kg, One dozen eggs £1.49, cheap as chips, 240 multi vitamins and minerals only £8 that’s just 20p a week. :)

Its the most important one as it gives you energy though out the day, a few piece if bread its hardly going to do anything

300kCals from the bread, perhaps another 250kcal from the marmalade and buttre/marge depending on how thick - that's not really "hardly going to do anything" is it Phil?

You're still contributing and supporting animal crulety I thought even would grasp that.

Sorry but eating meat is not animal cruelty, they are part of our food chain, never seen a healthy looking vegetarian yet. Its how you eat it, moderation in everything is healthy way of eating also.

Archived