How much a week for a single person to eat reasonably healthy?

Except it's not of course. Simple that is, regardless of how much you would like to make it so.

Yes it is just the conditions battery hens are kept in will make the nutritional value almost nil, it really is very simple logic which I'd of thought even you 'd be able to grasp, a happy healthy animal is nutritional food!

Yes it is just the conditions battery hens are kept in will make the nutritional value almost nil, it really is very simple logic which I'd of thought even you 'd be able to grasp, a happy healthy animal is nutritional food!

After you deleted post on another thread this morning Id shut my foul mouth if I were you

Rubbish - your figures are grossly exaggerated. It sounds like you're eating every meal out. What you describe - £20 a day is easily enough to feed someone well for a week if you spend wisely and cook at home.

Like I said I don't like to eat rubbish eating is a pleasure not a thing that you can skimp on if you like your nosh,I might be a bit over with the £20 a day,maybe if I was on a tight budget I would have to economize,if you like a nice bit of stake or a decent bit of fish add the veg and and trimmings a bit of pudding for afters a tenner is not a lot Im not saying I have stake every night but I could not last a week on just £20 for food it cant be a very healthy diet,I cant stand warm ups eating things that have been in the fridge for a week they had to do things like that in the war times.

Like I said I don't like to eat rubbish eating is a pleasure not a thing that you can skimp on if you like your nosh,I might be a bit over with the £20 a day,maybe if I was on a tight budget I would have to economize,if you like a nice bit of stake or a decent bit of fish add the veg and and trimmings a bit of pudding for afters a tenner is not a lot Im not saying I have stake every night but I could not last a week on just £20 for food it cant be a very healthy diet,I cant stand warm ups eating things that have been in the fridge for a week they had to do things like that in the war times.

Im not that much smaller than you, and I do occasionally do some seriously hard work.

I still doubt I would spend more than £25 a week on food - If I needed to - The point of this thread was to point out that eating healthy and cheap are not mutually exclusive..Infact it is probably easier and cheaper to eat well rather thna exist on take aways and ready meals

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 20:39 ----------

Which fowl post? Or are you just fussing like an old hen?

you get many libellous posts deleted I take it? or were you drunk / drugged?

Im not repeating you allegation

Simple illogic and utter rubbish I'm afraid. There have even been some studies showing that battery hens are in some respects nutritionally superior to free range hens. (Work by Dr Alistair Paterson of Strathclyde University.) The conditions of battery hens are pretty deplorable but to try and make claims for the nutritional quality of the meat based upon ethical considerations quite frankly doesn't stack up.

£25 is a good figure:

Breakfast: 50p

Lunch: £1.50

Tea: £1.50

Breakfast is a a cup of tea (18p) and a portion of museli (32p). The museli comes in big bag costing about £2.60 which I can get 8 portions from.

Lunch is a sandwich (40p) and some fruit (50p) and some other exceptional item (60p).

Tea is a portion of curry. spag bol, chilli or whatever takes your fancy. The key is to make in bulk. £3 will buy you enough meat from a butcher in Castle Market or local shop for 4 portions that gives you £3 to spend on veg, spices, sauces. rice, pasta etc there's probably enough in the budget for a pudding once a week. For those who think this is slumming it I personally think things like Chilli and spag bol often taste better reheated.

To cut costs you could bulk out tea with veg and beans (or drop the meat altogether) or drop the exceptional item from lunch. And yes I don't really stick to this but I have in the past but could do it again.

£25 is a good figure:

Breakfast: 50p

Lunch: £1.50

Tea: £1.50

Breakfast is a a cup of tea (18p) and a portion of museli (32p). The museli comes in big bag costing about £2.60 which I can get 8 portions from.

Lunch is a sandwich (40p) and some fruit (50p) and some other exceptional item (60p).

Tea is a portion of curry. spag bol, chilli or whatever takes your fancy. The key is to make in bulk. £3 will buy you enough meat from a butcher in Castle Market or local shop for 4 portions that gives you £3 to spend on veg, spices, sauces. rice, pasta etc there's probably enough in the budget for a pudding once a week. I personally think things like Chilli and spag bol often taste better reheated

To cut costs you could bulk out tea with veg and beans (or drop the meat altogether) or drop the exceptional item from lunch. And yes I don't really stick to this but I have in the past but could do it again.

Nice to see someone who sees sense :)

and the emboldened bit is true, but I cant recall why.....its summat scientific about releasing "things" though

Nice to see someone who sees sense :)

Me mum would be proud! ;)

and the emboldened bit is true, but I cant recall why.....its summat scientific about releasing "things" though

Settling and releasing is what I read. I work shifts so on a dreary afternoon sometimes find myself making a chili just to reheat later in the week. It makes good eating, plus you can rectify your mistakes when you first started.

Me mum would be proud! ;)

Settling and releasing is what I read. I work shifts so on a dreary afternoon sometimes find myself making a chili just to reheat later in the week. It makes good eating, plus you can rectify your mistakes when you first started.

I learnt, or rather taught me self, to cook working shifts :D

Archived