Should patients pay for their 'lifestyle-diseases'?

Tory MP and Dr Phillip Lee thinks so, in most instances with regards diabetes I'm sure he's right but where do you stop? EG Car crash - Sorry mate you was driving too fast so either pay up or no treatment!

And obviously some people with diabetes or similar conditions may work and pay into the health system which will more than offset their health care costs.

http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/patients-should-pay-for-lifestyle-diseases-tory-mp/5052270.article

No they shouldn't pay extra. There shouldn't be conditions place on care provision like this.

For the dim-witted who might not have spotted the endgame, this is testing the reaction to the idea of a private medical insurance scheme that has variable contributions based on lifestyle/existing conditions etc...

I can see a reasonable case for charging for treatment of illnesses caused by, for example, smoking, if the patient refuses to stop doing the harmful activity that has caused the illness. The problem I can see if that policing it would probably end up costing more than you'd save/raise by doing so.

I can see a reasonable case for charging for treatment of illnesses caused by, for example, smoking, if the patient refuses to stop doing the harmful activity that has caused the illness. The problem I can see if that policing it would probably end up costing more than you'd save/raise by doing so.
I agree that smokers should pay, but the idea of the tax on tobacco is that they do just that! Having said that, the bodies of smokers are generally so ravaged by the habit that evidence to support a demand for payment is rarely lacking!

What about people who are injured through their lifestyle, sport, hobbies, etc. best not sneeze your nose might bleed.

Was thinking the same thing myself, I enjoy a spot of mountain biking and on several occasions I've had to visit A&E do to coming off the bike.

Should I be expected to pay more due to my lifestyle.

People who eat fatty food run a higher risk or heart issues or Colorectal cancer.

Smokers run a higher risk of lung cancer

Women who don't have children, or are not on the pill run a higher risk of ovarian cancer Vs those who do.

All these lifestyle choices can lead to serious health problems, should they all pay more for their treatment?

The trouble would be that once this starts there may be no end to it. You weigh one pound more than your ideal weight,you should not have got knocked off your bike you know how dangerous it is on those roads,you were out walking at night in the dark,silly you,no treatment for any of you three.

Archived