Should patients pay for their 'lifestyle-diseases'?

No they shouldn't pay extra. There shouldn't be conditions place on care provision like this.

For the dim-witted who might not have spotted the endgame, this is testing the reaction to the idea of a private medical insurance scheme that has variable contributions based on lifestyle/existing conditions etc...

Absolutely right. I see it as just another example of political scapegoating to divide the oppositional base. Privatisation of the NHS will be as a series of small compromises not one huge leap. Remain vigilant.

No they shouldn't pay extra. There shouldn't be conditions place on care provision like this.

For the dim-witted who might not have spotted the endgame, this is testing the reaction to the idea of a private medical insurance scheme that has variable contributions based on lifestyle/existing conditions etc...

It wouldnt surprise me and probably still have to pay national insurance too.

At this rate....

1) you won't be entitled to NHS treatments as you have injured yourself through playing sport.

2) you won't be entitled to NHS treatments as you are obese, because you don't play sport.

3) Sports clubs (or people taking part) will have to purchase expensive insurance so people are entitled to NHS if they get injured.

4) People won't take up sport because of the costly insurance, and sports clubs wll go under due to costly insurance

5) People will become obese as they don;t to physical activity, so not entitled to NHS treatments

A small minefield

It wouldnt surprise me and probably still have to pay national insurance too.

NI is a tax and nowt else.

Back when it were introduced an insured worker paid just 4% and they got a very generous dole - far greater than a pension of the time (which they also funded).

They don't now, and it ain't used to fund pensions either. It is paid out in landowner subsidies 100%!

The trouble would be that once this starts there may be no end to it. You weigh one pound more than your ideal weight,you should not have got knocked off your bike you know how dangerous it is on those roads,you were out walking at night in the dark,silly you,no treatment for any of you three.

Can you imagine the levels Big Brother "we are watching you" kind of interference that this would lead to? What if you lead a blameless life, paying taxes, contribuing to society, then trip up over the cat after having one too many at your retirement party?

One thing I thing might be necessary though is for people who elect to have cosmetic surgery (for vanity reasons, not medical or reconstructive) to pay into a sort of follow-up or insurance policy to cover when private surgeons mess up, or implants need replacing years later.

Well, given that Muslims and Jews don't pay to have genital mutilation performed on their babies, I doubt we can expect anyone to pay for essential and/or beneficial surgery/treatment!

Its not just Jews and Muslims milking NHS to fulfil their cultural ways, our white trash mums don't pay for all their abortions and contraceptive pills either.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 21:37 ----------

I agree that smokers should pay, but the idea of the tax on tobacco is that they do just that! Having said that, the bodies of smokers are generally so ravaged by the habit that evidence to support a demand for payment is rarely lacking!

What smokers pay into the health system more than offsets their health care costs.

Well, given that Muslims and Jews don't pay to have genital mutilation performed on their babies, I doubt we can expect anyone to pay for essential and/or beneficial surgery/treatment!

1. Circumcision is not genital mutilation, as you well know (but were determined to be offensive about).

2. Nor is it the thread's topic.

3. And, in any case, Jews do not use the NHS for circumcision. I have no idea how Moslems organise their equivalent, but Jewish circumcision is conducted only by Doctors/Rabbis registered/professionally trained/insured by- the Initiation Society.

4. But I doubt that we can expect you to understand any of that, given your apparent fixedness of mind.

1. Circumcision is not genital mutilation, as you well know (but were determined to be offensive about).

2. Nor is it the thread's topic.

3. And, in any case, Jews do not use the NHS for circumcision. I have no idea how Moslems organise their equivalent, but Jewish circumcision is conducted only by Doctors/Rabbis registered/professionally trained/insured by- the Initiation Society.

4. But I doubt that we can expect you to understand any of that, given your apparent fixedness of mind.

My Bold=

Muslims have to pay a qualified doctor to carry out the procedure as it is not available on the NHS.

Archived