Peace Gardens,Sheffield

lilaclover

I remember the measures and the army surplus store on the corner.

The old "weights and measures" dept.of the town council ( forerunner of the trading standards dept. ) , used to be situated in the St. Paul's Chambers. I suspect that is why the measures were on St. Paul's parade. They used to be in the old Imperial sizes then . I don't know if they still are.

The old "weights and measures" dept.of the town council ( forerunner of the trading standards dept. ) , used to be situated in the St. Paul's Chambers. I suspect that is why the measures were on St. Paul's parade. They used to be in the old Imperial sizes then . I don't know if they still are.

When I was at Firth Park Grammar School we had a trip to that place, one of the things they did was to sand blast the certification on beer glasses.

• 3 months later...
When I was at school, the Peace Gardens was an area of grassland, with roses, footpaths, and loadc of benches to sit on, and, PEACEFUL was what it was. Anyone remember?

I remember the Peace Gardens when they use to have lovely flower beds and it looked clean. I was young girl then, maybe 8 years old. My nan and I use to walk round them very often. however I'm not sure my nan would like to there now, as other people have said, too many drunks. It's just not the same calming atmosphere that it use to be, which is ashame as it could be so much better.

When it was working properly with its diming coloured lights the Goodwin Fountain was superb. Shame it got vandalised. The glass column one that used to be outside the railway station in the road was pretty good too.

There used to be a team of Security men at night patrolling from Midland Station right up Division St. No damage then and a bunch of nice blokes. And I dont mean the Ambassadors.

Weren't there signs stuck into the grass: "Keep Off the Grass?" You were shouted at if you set foot on it.

Oh yeah - those were the days :rolleyes:!

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 16:23 ----------

During the summer its like Skegness sea front with hoards of kids running about in the fountain! I'm sure that was never the intention it be used like that when they were planning it?

I'm positive that it was !

Do you have a problem with kids running around having fun ?

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 16:24 ----------

Today it is a haven for street drinkers and the homeless

How long have you been in Anchorage ?:)

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 16:26 ----------

That first photo sure brings back memories. I may be old fashioned but I prefer it to the second one.

I'm afraid you are.

You have to move with the times and the current design and usage is for 2013 not 1913.

Archived