Crookesmoore School friends in the '60's

rosenick10

deecee

No I think all I got was a clip round the ear from Mr Crookes the Headmaster.

Any younger readers who don't understand - yes I did say 'clip round the ear' - this was a firm but not hard slap from a teacher who just wanted to ensure that you understood the errors of your ways.

Sorry for being a liitle cynical

Why Ponderosa?

Ponderosa was a large piece of open land on the cowboy program Bonanza( now on sky channel).

There were no large expanses of land except Weston Park and Crookes Valley Park were you were not allowed to play on the grass. Crookesmoor Rec was all scrub and if you played on there you only had the option of Ash of various types. down as far as Bramwell Street ( note not to Netherthorpe Road.) As they grassed the area,remnents of an old factory were being demolished. Therefore when it was complete we the kids at the time called it The Ponderosa and it did not include the rec . This was added on by other people later.

• 2 months later...

I lived at crookesmoor and went to crokesmoor school in 1963 to 67. I was born in 1956 so was in the class below yours. I do remember margaret ward and pamela wait. Do the names ann hopkins and pat buntin ring a bell. Also steven bird and peter smith. The class tutor was Mr Burton.

• 6 years later...

I am new on this sight. I went to Crookesmoor School. Through the Infants the Junoirs and then the Seniors up until 1959. My teachers in the Seniors were Mr Wild, Mr Waterhouse and a Teacher we nicknamed 'Satch', cant remember is name. The head was Mr Oates who also ran the Choir, of which I was a member. (you missed a few lessons for choir practice) there was a method in my madness. The choir won the Ecclesfield Festival and the Mexborough Festival on a number of occasions. We also sang on the City Hall a few times for the Fairfield Home at Dore. One year we sang the Jackdaw of Rheims and the next year we sang the Pied Piper of Hamlin and the pupils of Neepsend School acted as the Rats in Hamlin. I have many fond memories of playing on the Tip and playing football on the 'bottom pitch' in the ashes. Also sledging down the 'Death Run' from the park keepers hut down to the top pitch. My nickname was 'Froth' and my mate was 'Bubble' Anybody remember me?

deecee

No I think all I got was a clip round the ear from Mr Crookes the Headmaster.

Any younger readers who don't understand - yes I did say 'clip round the ear' - this was a firm but not hard slap from a teacher who just wanted to ensure that you understood the errors of your ways.

Sorry for being a liitle cynical

I remember Mr Crookes I was born in 58 and went to Crookesmoor, I sill have my school photo at me mums from the 60's not sure of exact year. One name always sticks out and that is Eric Thompson, memory not as good as used to be lol. In fact if I can get it from me mum's I'll scan it & post it on here

I am new on this sight. I went to Crookesmoor School. Through the Infants the Junoirs and then the Seniors up until 1959. My teachers in the Seniors were Mr Wild, Mr Waterhouse and a Teacher we nicknamed 'Satch', cant remember is name. The head was Mr Oates who also ran the Choir, of which I was a member. (you missed a few lessons for choir practice) there was a method in my madness. The choir won the Ecclesfield Festival and the Mexborough Festival on a number of occasions. We also sang on the City Hall a few times for the Fairfield Home at Dore. One year we sang the Jackdaw of Rheims and the next year we sang the Pied Piper of Hamlin and the pupils of Neepsend School acted as the Rats in Hamlin. I have many fond memories of playing on the Tip and playing football on the 'bottom pitch' in the ashes. Also sledging down the 'Death Run' from the park keepers hut down to the top pitch. My nickname was 'Froth' and my mate was 'Bubble' Anybody remember me?

'Hamlin Town's in Brunswick, by famous Hanover City

The river Veser deep and wide washes its walls on the other side

A pleasanter spot you ne'er espied'

...and so starts the 'Pied Piper of Hamlin' - yes I was in Crookesmoor Choir and sand at Ecclesfield Festival ('Cherry Ripe' and 'Gloria in Excelsis Deo') were the songs we sung.

I think you may have been a couple of years ahead of me tho' given the dates you have given in your reply to the Upperthorpe baths thread....and I cannot remember anyone called Froth and Bubble....but I do remember all the other stuff you mentioned - the long winter of 61? when we seemed to be sledging on The Tip for weeks on end - I think the teacher nicknamed Satch may have been Mr Edwards?

I used to live in the corner shop just below the school

Archived