Unemployed too skint for bikes - with free bus pass they can look for work

It's actually quite infuriating that all these measures to "help" people find work keep getting implemented. In other countries people don't get a single penny to do anything and they have to learn to be resourceful and find solutions to their problems.

All that's left is for a career's adviser to go with the candidate to the interview and help them answer the questions......

Is that resourcefulness begging and stealing - maybe some prostitution or perhaps selling of children or organs?

Not sure how else people feed themselves if they have nothing.

Anyway I m off to donate some food to the guy trying to provide Christmas dinner at Bens centre.

Is that resourcefulness begging and stealing - maybe some prostitution or perhaps selling of children or organs?

Not sure how else people feed themselves if they have nothing.

Anyway I m off to donate some food to the guy trying to provide Christmas dinner at Bens centre.

You think that the only solution is to steal and beg? I can come up with a ton of ways to make quick easy money to keep going if you are REALLY about to die from hunger. If you are given life on a gold platter of course you will never develop your mind to be able to think outside of the box.

To get back to the point of the original topic, if people are not able to find work because they can't afford a bus and desperately require a "free bus pass" then this country is in worse shape than I thought.

I'm looking to start my own career, but I don't need anyone to give me freebies to get by.

Steve Jobs famously walked into Atari during the first years of his career and demanded they give him a job or he wouldn't leave them alone.

You think that the only solution is to steal and beg? I can come up with a ton of ways to make quick easy money to keep going if you are REALLY about to die from hunger. If you are given life on a gold platter of course you will never develop your mind to be able to think outside of the box.

To get back to the point of the original topic, if people are not able to find work because they can't afford a bus and desperately require a "free bus pass" then this country is in worse shape than I thought.

I'm looking to start my own career, but I don't need anyone to give me freebies to get by.

Steve Jobs famously walked into Atari during the first years of his career and demanded they give him a job or he wouldn't leave them alone.

Care to share your tons of ideas?

Perhaps better after you have actually started your own career.

And your correct -when the minimum cost of public transport is a 5th of someones disposal income and that income is less than £10 a day and yet people still have no compassion - then this country is in a bad shape.

the unemployed already get help getting to interviews. they can claim back the costs for each interview form the job centre now.

No they don't see post #10

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 18:54 ----------

But the ticket costs the taxpayer no more whether it is only used for job search activity or otherwise!!!

It costs more to administrate as our benefits system is very bureaucratic, ironically even more so now the Tories are in power.

Isolation can be a real and expensive problem. Anyone unlucky enough to be signing on who lives in the village I grew up in (and where my parents still live) have a 15 mile journey to the job centre. This involves getting a bus to the nearest town for the first five miles, and an onward connection from there. Costs about £8.

That's nothing, in London it costs £2.20 to go just one stop on the bus.

When I go back to work after maternity leave we have discovered that by the time we have put three children in nursery (or at least two until April when my eldest gets his free 15 hour placement) I will actually bring in precisely £0. In fact with petrol it will cost me to go to work, but although I'm only doing one day a week I need to keep my job for when the kids are older and I can work more again. So I agree about extending this free bus travel to low-paid workers as well.

Archived