Sunny morning on the Don

Pkingy

I'm going to have to have a crack at the Don as i've never had a Grayling, they look gorgeous fish from the books and mags :thumbsup:

I used to fish pre-floods with my nephew the stretch between east coast road&stevenson road below the wier there was a nice swim where it ran into a narrow deepish swim just near an old fence on the far bank&we used to get lots of grayling from there in fact we named it the "graylingswim"we would regular get 12/15 grayling up to approx 2 lbs & they are a lovely fish & put up a real good fight.we were once fishing on that stretch&has a grayling on & the rod bent double & we got snapped probably a pike taking our hooked grayling!we still go now on various stretches of the don & always catch grayling.just float fish with red&white maggot on a 18 hook & im certain you will get grayling

I'm going to have to have a crack at the Don as i've never had a Grayling, they look gorgeous fish from the books and mags :thumbsup:

I used to fish pre-floods with my nephew the stretch between east coast road&stevenson road below the wier there was a nice swim where it ran into a narrow deepish swim just near an old fence on the far bank&we used to get lots of grayling from there in fact we named it the "graylingswim"we would regular get 12/15 grayling up to approx 2 lbs & they are a lovely fish & put up a real good fight.we were once fishing on that stretch&has a grayling on & the rod bent double & we got snapped probably a pike taking our hooked grayling!we still go now on various stretches of the don & always catch grayling.just float fish with red&white maggot on a 18 hook & im certain you will get grayling

i used to fish that swim pre-flood as well. there were a lot of dace in that stretch too. the pike you mention was a resident in that swim, it used to lay up in the edge of the bank. once or twice i disturbed it on arrival and it would swirl and bolt off.

i used to fish that swim pre-flood as well. there were a lot of dace in that stretch too. the pike you mention was a resident in that swim, it used to lay up in the edge of the bank. once or twice i disturbed it on arrival and it would swirl and bolt off.

it scared the **** out of me&my nephew as it all happened that quick!

Thanks for the info Charley and Alf :thumbsup:

I used to fish the river Roche and river Wrighton, both were shallow and clear but held some smashing Chub, Roach etc, you had to creep up the bank away from the river so as not to spook the fish, I always went frot his overhanging bush that gave cover and allowed a nice long trot...

I got a bite one day and as I reeled it in it suddenly went to a deadweight as though the fish had swum in to a carrier bag or a branch had become entangled..

the only problem was that it moved across to the far bank!!:confused:

When I got it within view a Pike had gotten hold of the Roach across the flank, I got it back to the net and as I reached down slightly to put the net under, the damned bank gave way and I fell on my butt!!

The Roach was still on but the Pike had scarpered :hihi::hihi:

The encounter cost the Roach it's gill plates, the Pike had removed them! :o

Cheers, Biggsy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided instead of going piking next week I'm going to give the don a go. The stretch down neepsend looks good although I'm not sure what the water level is like as I haven't been down for a few weeks. Im thinking of targeting the chub and barbel that are rumoured to be in there.

I'm loving the don at the moment, had some perch and grayling on a roving session last weekend, thinking of going sunday, but worried the temperature will be too low. Anyone have opinion on that?

Swalk, I've never fished that far up but agree there must be barbel and chub there!

Don barbel is my 2013 no.1 target! If they put 1000 in, i wonder if there's more or less now!

I did venture down on Sunday for a few hours, had 5 bites on the small (tiny) and only half filled maggot feeder, converted into 3 brownies @ 1lb and a half.

The main mistake I made is not wrapping up enough, it was pretty cold!

Another angler was just down the way, fishing the stick, he had 5 or more in less time. At least I know my homework.... stick floats! I feel it's one of those tactics you learn early in your angling career and then 'relearn' much later this time with actual skill and patience lol. Anyways, i'll start a topic for that at a later date.

I'm going tomorrow although I'm not too sure how long I'll last as its forecast -2. Going to try the stick float,although I've never tried I before and I don't have a centre pin real(does that really matter?)

Archived