Sunny morning on the Don

Pkingy

I went today,I fished 10-1.30 and blanked. I couldn't stand in the -4 weather any longer than that. I friend of mine met me there and told me how to target the bigger fish. I also tried for the smaller ones but had no luck. But i learnt a lot and know how to target those bigger ones once the weather warms up.

It's a shame the bankside isn't well kept..it could do with some time spending on it just cutting some of the overgrown bushes and trees back so you can get decent access to other parts.

Well done for braving it!

I agree 95% of the Don is difficult or impossible to fish (from the bankside anyway). But saying that, I think it's part of the appeal! A few bushes getting a quick trim is always a good idea though ;)

So many variables with this method that you could send your bait past a fish 10 times and if you have something wrong, you will never know! Lets not mention the temperature! I see the canal is frozen over

Fishing the don is very appealing at the moment. I'm not sure if it the stories & pics I've seen of some very nice chub & barbel or the fact I'd never fished a river and the whole excitement of something new. I only live 5minutes away from the stretch i fished and its free (as far as I know). So I can nip down before or after work for a few hours in the summer.

I'm probably in a similar situation tbh Swalk, although i have fished rivers before (and even started fishing on a river, namely the sheaf) - I wasn't particularly good at it and feel like i have spent way to long on the still waters.

The river is actually on my route to work so I'm sure I'll do the same. Might have to get an extamundo rod though as I use bicycle to get to work haha! Fishing light will not know what's hit it!

Here's to hoping this frost snap passes quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Swalk and Chid. If your really interested in giving it a try might i suggest you try the Salmon Pastures stretch. I havent been dosn for some time but its full of fish with dace and chub with trout as well . Lots of minnows to torment you but every now and then the float dips and your into a nice fish.

cheers howsmicha, this year I aim to fish all areas of the Don from the Wicker to Rotherham haha!

The Salmon Pastures has several good looking swims and I'll be sure to give them some time very soon.

I'm keeping my eye on the EA river levels charts (very useful if anyone hasn't discovered it yet, head to EA website and search river levels) - I want to home in on the Stick but 2ft of extra water probably wont help!.

Tell you what would be great, if someone had some water temperature nodes, that would be even more helpful!

Hi Swalk and Chid. If your really interested in giving it a try might i suggest you try the Salmon Pastures stretch. I havent been dosn for some time but its full of fish with dace and chub with trout as well . Lots of minnows to torment you but every now and then the float dips and your into a nice fish.

Got to agree with howsmicha had some cracking fish on the Don especially the salmon pasture stretch [Warren street end] had loads of trout and grayling. never had a chubb or barble off this stretch had a few chubb out at neepsend they dont seem to be as common as the trout and grayling

Archived