Sunny morning on the Don

Pkingy

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't believe what I'm reading. Trout and grayling in the River Don? When I left

Sheffield for Canada in the fifties, the Don was still used for water supply and discharge

by the many industries built close to its banks as it always had been and thus a most

important part of Sheffield history. Maybe I should make a trip back just to fish the Don.

It's hard to imagine, hooking a brown on a fly in what used to be the mucky old river.

By the way, what is stick fishing?

hello raker.the don is a really clean river now&you can fish it all the way down through town to attercliffe&beyond,i often fish at the back of the wicker&attercliffe&often see kingfishers flying along the river,it is a real good river now&a pleasure to fish,i never thought that one day i would be able to fish the don apart from up around thurgoland/oxspring not far from its source.it is full of fish&i have caught trout up to 4 lbs,chub up to 5 ibs,grayling up to 2 lbs,roach up to 2 lbs,perch up to 2 ibs,there are also some big barbel in the don but as yet in have yet to catch one!as most people know if grayling are in a river it must be very clean.stick fishing is float fishing

hi raker, which part of canada are you in? i'm determined to get over there soon to fish the fraser river for them white sturgeon. the guy i fish with in spain for catfish has been and says it's an angling experience not to be forgotten.

stick fishing is another term for the stick float which is attached top and bottom to your line and is designed to run with the current.

Here's the access point to the river at Salmon Pastures.

It's set back as you can see so easily missed if you don't know it.

Crumbs!

I didn't know that entrance existed!!

Years ago I used to climb over the wall and go down the steep embankment here on Stoke street!!

I couldn't do it now as me knees are shot :(

EDIT!!- Darn it- the wife is still logged in :(

Biggsy :)

• 2 months later...

I had a couple out on a small spinner the other week.

First time I've caught anything on one!

Also to say there's quite a few people bait fishing on the river near me. I'd call the EA if I thought they'd do anything about it. Been 3 or 4 on there every day for the past week or so.

Archived