Saturday jobs at Banners

jad279

Did anyone have a saturday job at Banners on attercliffe.I worked stright from school on Friday and saturday morning ,got paid then off to town.It was ok and better than a paper job. Jim.

Hi Jim, I was a clerk at Firth Browns and also had a Saturday job at Banners to pay for my Lambretta motor scooter. This was 1960 when I was 16 through to 1962. Met my first wife there. She worked on children's clothes and I was on furniture, then men's clothing. After sitting at a desk Mon. to Fri. at the steel works, standing all day in the shop was hard going :(

Regards, Peter.

Hi Jim, I was a clerk at Firth Browns and also had a Saturday job at Banners to pay for my Lambretta motor scooter. This was 1960 when I was 16 through to 1962. Met my first wife there. She worked on children's clothes and I was on furniture, then men's clothing. After sitting at a desk Mon. to Fri. at the steel works, standing all day in the shop was hard going :(

Regards, Peter.

You were a bit before my time, i was there about 69 to 71 ,worked down in the grocery dept,when we had our tea breakwe had to run from below ground level to the canteen on the top floor ,you had to be quick or you ran out of time.But good memories.

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 19:42 ----------

There were a lot had saterday jobs at banners they were called shoplifters:hihi:

YOUR NOT WRONG:hihi:

About the same time as me. Although I was full time. Who was the manager when you were there? I remember Mr Clark and Mr Whitehead.

Hi cant remember the mans name but he was youngish with blonde hair ,he thought he was a bit trendy (as we used to say) Jim.

i remember the man who had one arm think his name was Charli worked on the lift which he kept spotless

Hi raymondo1952, was just going to type in about Charley and spotted your post. He wore a brown smock. The lift is still there, but modern mechanicals. The old wooden escalators have long gone though. Believe they went to America.

Regards, Peter.

About the same time as me. Although I was full time. Who was the manager when you were there? I remember Mr Clark and Mr Whitehead.

Mr. Cark was that paddy clark, he is one of my friends, he now lives in Handsworth, went to St. Josephs with him and his wife Freda this morning. He is still going strong full of pep, likes to put the world to rights even though he is well into his eightys.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 15:42 ----------

My daughter used to have a saturday @ Banners she worked downstairs in the cigarette kiosk. Her name was Mandy Bell

Archived