Should the MP weekly grocery allowance be higher than dole?

Should the MP weekly grocery allowance be higher than dole?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the MP weekly grocery allowance be higher than dole?

• It should be above £160
    • It should be £160
    • It should be under £160 but above £71
    • It should be £71
    • It should be under £71 but above £56.25
    • It should be £56.25
    • It should be less than £56.25
    • They should pay out of wages like everyone else!
    • Don't know

You're surpirised that people think MPs should pay for their own food out of their salary? In other words no allowance at all...

I don't see why someone in any job should pay for food that is only required as part of doing that job.

If my firm sent me to a conference, they would pay for my food while I attended.. why wouldn't they? I'm only there at their behest.

I don't see why someone in any job should pay for food that is only required as part of doing that job.

If my firm sent me to a conference, they would pay for my food while I attended.. why wouldn't they? I'm only there at their behest.

The MPs would have to pay for food were they living at their "family" home..why should living in their paid for accomodation be different? Isn't London their place of work? Do you think my company should pay for my dinner whilst I'm out on the road every day..after all I'm only there because of work..

Never seen a poll like this one, pretty much everyone thinks they should pay for their food out of their wages, like everybody else.

Only one person thinks otherwise, and they think they should get even more than they currently do (perhaps that was a protest vote).

So if an MP can get £160 a week just for food, how the hell can somebody live on £56.25 a week?

£56.25 for food, fuel, clothes, travel, insurance, debt repayments, Tv license, Sky subscription, internet (needed for jobs nowadays), excess rent, household cleaning and repairs, baccy, beer, bud, cultural activities etc.

Do MP require more food than the unemployed? What about the unemployed doing manual labour on workfare (with increased calorie needs)?

are you sure its for groceries and not for the fact they have to eat in restaurants (which is much more expensive than buying groceries) whilst staying in a hotel? I can't believe they get an allowance to buy food to cook at their second London home because their is no substancial financial difference between the cost of the food there and the constituency home?!

are you sure its for groceries and not for the fact they have to eat in restaurants (which is much more expensive than buying groceries) whilst staying in a hotel? I can't believe they get an allowance to buy food to cook at their second London home because their is no substancial financial difference between the cost of the food there and the constituency home?!

What hotel? They all rent homes in London paid for by us don't they?

The MPs would have to pay for food were they living at their "family" home..why should living in their paid for accomodation be different?

So this allowance is for living in their second home? That's 100% guaranteed the case?

I'm not sure how you can make that determination from the OP's post, can you elaborate?

Isn't London their place of work?

Clearly, not all the time.

Do you think my company should pay for my dinner whilst I'm out on the road every day..after all I'm only there because of work..

You know full well that's not what I mean and bears no relation the example I posted.

So this allowance is for living in their second home? That's 100% guaranteed the case?

I'm not sure how you can make that determination from the OP's post, can you elaborate?

Doesn't this make it obvious..? I can't see any other meaning..

"Subsistence

A flat-rate sum of £25 may be claimed for any night

which a Member spends away from his or her main home

on parliamentary business. No other payment in respect of

subsistence may be claimed "

They may be staying with their brother,sister,cousin or in their rented home..they'll get £25 regardless..that's £125 for 5 day week..a lot of groceries..

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 14:59 ----------

You know full well that's not what I mean and bears no relation the example I posted.

Explain why it's different..genuinely not having a go..why should I have to pay for my dinner but not MPs.

They only get grocery allowance when working away from home like you would do in any other job.

Actually its not grocery allowance, it's to feed yourself for a night.

To be honest they should just pay them a lot more, it would remove the fraud crap and might actually encourage better candidates. At the moment you just get a bunch of numpties who are too useless to do anything else.

Archived