Anyone From Wincobank?

Trekker

I'm from winco. I mean proper winco. I was born in brightside (which in my mind Jenkin/Sandstone are brightside) 31 years born & bred &never heard the phrase "upper meadowhall"

I tell you what gets my goat- people from the flower describing it as "upper Wincobank"

Well how come the post office that used to be on Wincobank Avenue was called HIGH WINCOBANK POST OFFICE? Maybe thats why they refer to it as that!

I'm from winco. I mean proper winco. I was born in brightside (which in my mind Jenkin/Sandstone are brightside) 31 years born & bred &never heard the phrase "upper meadowhall"

I tell you what gets my goat- people from the flower describing it as "upper Wincobank"

thaz roughest bird on ur street, how many asbos have you had to date? is it 4? :)

thats because it is called that

thaz roughest bird on ur street, how many asbos have you had to date? is it 4? :)

Ha, no its only 3 and a couple of cautions for drunk & disorderly. :D;)

The flower estate has never been & never will be "High Wincobank" makes me giggle when people say it. And as for post office.....Well all I can think is that the PO didn't want to associate itself with either Shiregreen or The flower so they thought they would do what the residents do & steal our name. Look at the dentist more recently. They've even dropped the "High" & just pass it off as Wincobank dental practice. Well I'm sorry, they're not fooling anyone. Lol. X

I kind of thought the Op intended this as a "memories of wincobank" thread, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's turning into a "where does it start and end" thread...much like happened to the history of Stannington thread.

My Dad's family came from Wincobank. He was born in 1910 on Robin Hood Rd. just off Newman Rd. He was one of 11 kids and they lived in a back to back house later on in Newman Rd. Their name was Jackson. He was Arthur and he had three brothers called Vivien, George and Harry. His sisters names were Lily, Minnie, Bessie, Ivy, Elsie, Winnie, Ada and Dorothy (Dolly). My Dad was a member of Wincobank & BLackburn WMC for many years and I joined there when I was 18. He also had two allotments which at the back of Newman Rd.

The flower estate has never been & never will be "High Wincobank" makes me giggle when people say it. And as for post office.....Well all I can think is that the PO didn't want to associate itself with either Shiregreen or The flower so they thought they would do what the residents do & steal our name. Look at the dentist more recently. They've even dropped the "High" & just pass it off as Wincobank dental practice. Well I'm sorry, they're not fooling anyone. Lol. X

have a read here http://www.heritageinspired.org.uk/partner?partner_ID=84 then tell me that the flower were there first :loopy:

Hi E5006368, I was born on Newman rd, in the back to backs, our house was on Newman rd, bang opposite Mrs Hugh's fish and chip shop. My mother lived in the house till they were pulled down in 1968. Your uncle George lived in the big yard, (court 9) behind us. He lived next door to the Pym's and the Palmers. When I left the Central Tec'h in 1953, George helped me get a job as a apprentice bricklayer at Gleesons where he was a Gaffer. He was a real good guy,!.

Wincobank was a village in those days, It stopped at the last of the old houses opposite the school on Newman rd. From the school up Newman rd, was an open area up to the old houses at the top of Newman rd and that was classed as Shiregreen,!!!. The other side of the road was a valley across to Fife st, which was filled in over the years and known as either Chapmans or Schofields tip,( can't remember which now,!!!).

On Barrow rd, Wincobank stopped at Bill Curtis's Garage (now where the medical centre is). Barrow rd changed to Tyler St, then open ground ( known as The Riggs) to Brightside.

On Ecclefield Rd, Wincobank stopped at the end of the old houses, where there used to be a ladies and gents brick built toilet block.

The smelly brook which runs between the two bridges is the dividing line between Wincobank and Blackburn.

Any body living out side those boundarys was Not a Wincobank Villager,!!!!.

Enjoyed every minute of my time there.

My Dad's address was 11 Court 43 Newman Rd. He went to Wincobank School and used to tell me that he got into trouble climbing on the school roof to ring the school bell. He went to the Wincobank picture house a lot. Before he died he had an allotment which was just behind Wincobank & Blackburn Club. As a kid I used to spend hours playing on The Rigs - in fact we used to call it the Roman Rigs. There was always skylarks nesting there in the summer but you could never find their nest. On a Sunday Morning I would go with my Dad to his allotment which was off Vauxhall Rd. At dinner time we would walk down to a little sweet & pop shop on a corner on Newman Rd. and then down the hill to Wincobank Club. We lived on Brightside Lane at that time near English Steel works.

have a read here http://www.heritageinspired.org.uk/partner?partner_ID=84 then tell me that the flower were there first :loopy:

Haha nice one :)

---------- Post added 25-12-2012 at 15:29 ----------

Right Mrs knowitall, think what you like :roll: