Sheffield + apprenticeships?

Hello people, I'm going to be moving to up north (might be Manchester or Sheffield) in 6 months and I'm trying to get an apprenticeship, what are the opportunities like in Sheffield? I'm thinking of a carpentry apprenticeship. Anyone know of any great sites with info on this?

Thanks Mister! That sheffield college link was very helpful, added to favorites!

I've been on the apprenticeships website before but i don't like it very much, everything they say is "every apprenticeship is amazing, do one now you will not regret it" but they don't really explain a lot about the realities of apprenticeships. I know they are hard and should be taken seriously. Here is another apprenticeships website with some info on carpentry and an awesome video of what carpenters do (in america though), seems awesome :D

And also, I read that Manchester is an area with good apprenticeship opportunities but was unable to find similar info about the opportunities in Sheffield, how is it up there? Recession still affecting work?

Yes unfortunately recession is affecting business up here as it is in other parts too.

I have seen the course guide and it says under the 'Carpentry Apprentice' that although the college will help you look to get a suitable placement, ultimately responsibility is down to the student.

I'd suggest having a chat with the careers service at Sheffield College - they'll be able to give you more info than I could - ring them on 2602103

Archived