Help with tinnitus

Thanks for the comments on here ... unfortunately, sympathy is not really helpful. I get a lot of that, and whilst well meant, doesn't really help.

I'm not really talking about me (although I am ... if you get my drift) I read lots of stories like this

This is obviously very tragic ... it happens a lot though. There is no cure (my tinnitus just 'happened' several years ago ... I doubt that it had anything to do with loud music (as the link suggests).

My audiologist seems to know no more about this subject than I do, unfortunately. Because my tinnitus has reached severe levels now, I'm trying very hard to do something about it. It operates at 10.93 khz in a triangular frequency (having downloaded an audio frequency tone generator) ... pretty lucky really, as it's just one frequency. I'm hoping to use this to develop an app for my phone or whatever (hearing aids) which cancels this frequency out. Obviously, if this works, I'd dish it out for free

I'm talking to Sheffield University at the mo, to see if they can help. I do know that there're some very clever people on here though, who may also be able to help. I'm specifically looking for someone who could do a programmable frequency modulating white noise generator (possibly in earphones and wi-fi?) ... I think this is possible. I also know it would cost a lot.

I don't know an awful lot about tinitus, but stress used to bring it on for my dad, and it exacerbates itself

Have you tried anything like tai chi perhaps?

My girlfriend is a cognitive behavioural therapist. CBT is used a lot with tinnitus sufferers. It can help reduce stress, but does nothing to alleviate the actual physical problem.

Have you seen this site? Hope that there may be something of help on the site. Please post back on here if you find any sort of help from whatever source, as I would like to pass it on.

From reading the replies to your thread, it seems that tinnitus is more common than I realised. I am guessing that there will be quite a few more replies to your thread as lots of guys in the Sheffield area worked in noisy environments in the steel industry. Forges are particularly noisy.

http://store.kevinhogan.com/tinnitusreductionprogramwithbook.aspx

Thanks for the comments on here ... unfortunately, sympathy is not really helpful. I get a lot of that, and whilst well meant, doesn't really help.

I'm not really talking about me (although I am ... if you get my drift) I read lots of stories like this

This is obviously very tragic ... it happens a lot though. There is no cure (my tinnitus just 'happened' several years ago ... I doubt that it had anything to do with loud music (as the link suggests).

My audiologist seems to know no more about this subject than I do, unfortunately. Because my tinnitus has reached severe levels now, I'm trying very hard to do something about it. It operates at 10.93 khz in a triangular frequency (having downloaded an audio frequency tone generator) ... pretty lucky really, as it's just one frequency. I'm hoping to use this to develop an app for my phone or whatever (hearing aids) which cancels this frequency out. Obviously, if this works, I'd dish it out for free

I'm talking to Sheffield University at the mo, to see if they can help. I do know that there're some very clever people on here though, who may also be able to help. I'm specifically looking for someone who could do a programmable frequency modulating white noise generator (possibly in earphones and wi-fi?) ... I think this is possible. I also know it would cost a lot.

Hi Alcoblog, I know what your going through , I've suffered from tinnitus in both ears for the past 10 years. Mine's like a high pitched buzzing noise which I can hear all the time. Ive been told there's no cure so basically that's it. Ive tried one of those machines that goes under your pillow to mask out the noise but it doesn't seem to work at all. The only way I can fall asleep at night is to leave the tv on, it helps a bit, because it dulls down the tinnitus but not totally. Where do I find the audio frequency tone generator that you mention above ?

Have you seen this site? Hope that there may be something of help on the site. Please post back on here if you find any sort of help from whatever source, as I would like to pass it on.

From reading the replies to your thread, it seems that tinnitus is more common than I realised. I am guessing that there will be quite a few more replies to your thread as lots of guys in the Sheffield area worked in noisy environments in the steel industry. Forges are particularly noisy.

http://store.kevinhogan.com/tinnitusreductionprogramwithbook.aspx

Thanks ... I'm aware of this site. To be honest, I've spent more than that on another site. The people are just after your money. There is no cure for tinnitus as yet, despite what people tell you. I could easily write all that stuff and get loads of dosh. I'll certainly post back with any new information I find though ... it won't cost anything either! :)

Hi Alcoblog, I know what your going through , I've suffered from tinnitus in both ears for the past 10 years. Mine's like a high pitched buzzing noise which I can hear all the time. Ive been told there's no cure so basically that's it. Ive tried one of those machines that goes under your pillow to mask out the noise but it doesn't seem to work at all. The only way I can fall asleep at night is to leave the tv on, it helps a bit, because it dulls down the tinnitus but not totally. Where do I find the audio frequency tone generator that you mention above ?

This is where you'll find an audio frequency tone generator. When you download, it'll appear at bottom left of your screen. However, it's totally re-formatted my comp ... so be aware!

I'm sure it's not dangerous though (just me not knowing what I'm doing). Look in the 10.000 khz region (top of screen, using your cursor). PM if you want. :)

This is where you'll find an audio frequency tone generator. When you download, it'll appear at bottom left of your screen. However, it's totally re-formatted my comp ... so be aware!

I'm sure it's not dangerous though (just me not knowing what I'm doing). Look in the 10.000 khz region (top of screen, using your cursor). PM if you want. :)

I've just downloaded it and installed it as a way of a test and it's fine, installed like any other programme with no harm done at all.

Just googled free tinnitus cure and got this :

Tom thumbs comments just about sum up how I feel about it. Made me chuckle though

Sadly, despite the Stephen Hawking speech-simulated text to voice recognition software and spelling mistakes, people will still buy this stuff! (I have the utmost respect for Steve) Tom Thumb's right ... I nearly left a comment myself.

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 17:17 ----------

I've just downloaded it and installed it as a way of a test and it's fine, installed like any other programme with no harm done at all.

I believe you ... I just made a mistake in downloading, that's gonna make my computer geek next door neighbour another quick £20 for five seconds work in preventing my main screen looking like a +++++++ Christmas tree!

I think the programme's brill, but doubt the capacity of my (Dell) speakers. I'm trying to figure out a way of connecting the comp to my very much better quality audio system. :)

Archived