Help with tinnitus

Medusa you have my sympathies, I'm on medication for Meniere's/vertigo as I had terrible dizziness and sounds in my ears. Its helped the dizziness a lot but I'm stuck with a noise in my ears that sounds like rushing air, or the central heating being on.

My hearing has also deteriorated dramatically and I've just bought 2 hearing aids, I can cope with having the hearing aids but the sounds in my ears & head do my bonce in, I do try to forget about it but not always easy.

Hi, I wonder if you would mind telling me which medication helps with your dizziness from Meniers related vertigo?? I was diagnosed with meniers about 8 years ago and have since lost all the hearing in my left ear,have tinnitus ALL the time in the ear ( sounds like a constant hissing and whooshing sound ) and suffer from terrible bouts of debilitating verigo that puts me in bed for 3 days at a time vomiting and feeling like the world is spinning at a million miles an hour.

I cant hang my washing out on good days because when I put my head backwards to peg on the line,everything starts to spin.

My symptoms have become so very very bad over the last year that Im really starting to get frightened for my future,worried sick by the thought of how bad my life is actually going to get.

Im only 44,Ive got the most beautiful family including a 1 year old Grandson who is my life and Im so frightened that my illness is going to progress to such a level that Im going to end up bed-ridden.

Ive tried 2 different medications,Ceritadene? and Buccastem,both unhelpful in any way, please advise, any help would be so greatly recieved, thankyou.

I know that I'll probably get banned for saying this, but what the hell.

I can't sleep in a conventional manner due to tinnitus ... I can't operate properly.

My GP can't help me. Audiologists can't either (there's no answer as yet).

Due to the stress that I have, I've decided to try cannabis (homeopathic) just like the very expensive and useless Ginkgo biloba (available at all good chemists). I've found someone who can supply me with unadulterated weed and instruct me how to smoke it responsibly.

I'm fully aware that this a banned drug, but what the heck? I don't 'do' drugs at all. I tried it a couple of times, maybe twenty years ago, it just made me wretch ... never touched it since.

Some of my friends have recommended this too (high up in the medical profession) for stress relief.

Is this the way to go? I know it's not the long term answer.

Hi, I wonder if you would mind telling me which medication helps with your dizziness from Meniers related vertigo?? I was diagnosed with meniers about 8 years ago and have since lost all the hearing in my left ear,have tinnitus ALL the time in the ear ( sounds like a constant hissing and whooshing sound ) and suffer from terrible bouts of debilitating verigo that puts me in bed for 3 days at a time vomiting and feeling like the world is spinning at a million miles an hour.

I cant hang my washing out on good days because when I put my head backwards to peg on the line,everything starts to spin.

My symptoms have become so very very bad over the last year that Im really starting to get frightened for my future,worried sick by the thought of how bad my life is actually going to get.

Im only 44,Ive got the most beautiful family including a 1 year old Grandson who is my life and Im so frightened that my illness is going to progress to such a level that Im going to end up bed-ridden.

Ive tried 2 different medications,Ceritadene? and Buccastem,both unhelpful in any way, please advise, any help would be so greatly recieved, thankyou.

Hi boardbabe, what's helped me is since they put me on them is, Betahistne Dihydrochloride 8mg I was tried on another, can't remember name but I was the same. I was falling over, dizzy all the time and so on, since been on these I still have dizziness but nowhere near as bad.

They have helped me, I also have low blood pressure amongst other problems, heart failure among them. For the record I'm only 54, the dizziness was ruling my life, but at least I can go to work now 3 days a week.

I have got to say my hearing has really deteriorated, and the noises in my head are a pain, ask your doctor about what I've been put on so far they do help me.

Hi boardbabe, what's helped me is since they put me on them is, Betahistne Dihydrochloride 8mg I was tried on another, can't remember name but I was the same. I was falling over, dizzy all the time and so on, since been on these I still have dizziness but nowhere near as bad.

They have helped me, I also have low blood pressure amongst other problems, heart failure among them. For the record I'm only 54, the dizziness was ruling my life, but at least I can go to work now 3 days a week.

I have got to say my hearing has really deteriorated, and the noises in my head are a pain, ask your doctor about what I've been put on so far they do help me.

Bypassblade, thankyou so much, I certainly will mention them. Any tiny improvement would be so very greatfully recieved. Kind regards.

Hi ... my tinnitus is so bad now, that I'm at my wits end and finding it hard to concentrate to type here. My sleep pattern is all over the place. My GP is most unhelpful. So is my audiologist. I constantly have to have either my phone or my i-pod player on to drown out the noise. I thought my tinnitus was at 10/10 ... it's got worse ... there is definitely a 11/10 (just like that film that I can't be bothered to Google ... spinal tap?) I want to hear 'nothing' ... something that sounds stupid, until you don't have an option. I'm not clever enough to work with the sound generators yet.

You won't believe the screaming noise in my head at the moment ... it's massive! (only way to describe it). I'm dosed up with sleeping tablets at the moment, but they have no effect ... I'm getting really annoyed with 'Arcade Fire' too.

Is there anyone out there who can offer advice? (this is not a 'boy who cried wolf' story)

Hi ... my tinnitus is so bad now, that I'm at my wits end and finding it hard to concentrate to type here. My sleep pattern is all over the place. My GP is most unhelpful. So is my audiologist. I constantly have to have either my phone or my i-pod player on to drown out the noise. I thought my tinnitus was at 10/10 ... it's got worse ... there is definitely a 11/10 (just like that film that I can't be bothered to Google ... spinal tap?) I want to hear 'nothing' ... something that sounds stupid, until you don't have an option. I'm not clever enough to work with the sound generators yet.

You won't believe the screaming noise in my head at the moment ... it's massive! (only way to describe it). I'm dosed up with sleeping tablets at the moment, but they have no effect ... I'm getting really annoyed with 'Arcade Fire' too.

Is there anyone out there who can offer advice? (this is not a 'boy who cried wolf' story)

Alcoblog you and and anyone else with tinnitus have my deepest sympathy.

My dear late mother had the condition for years,following an ear operation which she had when i was a child.

I would have thought with advances in treatment since then they would have been able to help you.

Have you ever contacted the Tinnitus Association for advice.

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tinnitus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Alcoblog you and and anyone else with tinnitus have my deepest sympathy.

My dear late mother had the condition for years,following an ear operation which she had when i was a child.

I would have thought with advances in treatment since then they would have been able to help you.

Have you ever contacted the Tinnitus Association for advice.

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tinnitus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thanks ... I'm a fully paid up member of all the tinnitus sites (sorry that sounds sarcastic and patronising, but not meant to be :)) I'm deeply aware that I'm not the only one with this affliction. There is, as yet, no answer to this. My stress levels are massive and am self-medicating with sleeping tablets just to get through(out) the day. Not really the way to go though eh?

The brand name for betahistine is Serc. Many years ago as a medical rep I used to promote Serc for use in Meniere's disease. How's that for a coincidence?

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 21:46 ----------

I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling Alco :( Tinnitus really is like some sort of internal Chinese water torture, isn't it?

I'd love to be able to offer you some advice, but I imagine that you have already tried way more tricks than me to try to get a handle on it. I'm just obstinate enough not to think about it most of the time and that somehow seems to send it to the back of my brain.

I do have days when it jumps to the front of my brain, like when a similar tone comes on the TV as it did just after Christmas, and that lasted several days of really serious tinnitus, but as soon as I can stop thinking about it I just seem to notice it less, so being bloody minded is really helpful.

Have you tried having music on to sleep to BTW? When mine has been really bad in the past I've put on some gentle piano music quietly to have something to focus on other than the noises in my head and found that helpful. You can also get pillows that have speakers inside them so that you can listen without disturbing partners, but since being with my current partner I've never needed to think about buying one because I've got a noise generator in the bedroom which stops the room being in silence- CPAP machines are useful for tinnitus partners as well as patients with apnoea :)

Archived