Help with tinnitus

ive had it as long as i can remember but got worse last few years...i only got it at one time when i had too much to drink .not now .its there all the time...it like the orchestra playing at night ...i can hear a loud hissing high pitched noise like a dentists drill plus a droning like a plane makes but the high pitch noise is by far the worst..plus i lost some hearing too,i went to ent at hallamshire and had a hearing test ,they told me i can hear some tones but not others which explains why although i can hear somebodys voice easily i cant make out he words....same with the tv, no matter how loud i cant differentiate the sounds to make words so i finish up with just the subtitles on...i can never make out if the sounds coming from my ears or my head,maybe both

The brand name for betahistine is Serc. Many years ago as a medical rep I used to promote Serc for use in Meniere's disease. How's that for a coincidence?

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 21:46 ----------

I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling Alco :( Tinnitus really is like some sort of internal Chinese water torture, isn't it?

I'd love to be able to offer you some advice, but I imagine that you have already tried way more tricks than me to try to get a handle on it. I'm just obstinate enough not to think about it most of the time and that somehow seems to send it to the back of my brain.

I do have days when it jumps to the front of my brain, like when a similar tone comes on the TV as it did just after Christmas, and that lasted several days of really serious tinnitus, but as soon as I can stop thinking about it I just seem to notice it less, so being bloody minded is really helpful.

Have you tried having music on to sleep to BTW? When mine has been really bad in the past I've put on some gentle piano music quietly to have something to focus on other than the noises in my head and found that helpful. You can also get pillows that have speakers inside them so that you can listen without disturbing partners, but since being with my current partner I've never needed to think about buying one because I've got a noise generator in the bedroom which stops the room being in silence- CPAP machines are useful for tinnitus partners as well as patients with apnoea :)

Yeah ... I use music all the time. I just want to hear 'nothing' ... not Arcade Fire, Radiohead, or Vivaldi ... nothing. What a luxury. Just woken from my last bout of sleeping tablets ... bad space. Not well. This is hell. Don't know what to do.

Archived