Gay marriage to be made illegal in Churches (?)

Increasingly evasive Max. How about some straight answers to straight questions?

Do you accept that some people who oppose gay marriage are very probably homophobic?

Do you oppose gay marriage?

I accept that some people that oppose gay marrage might be homophobic.

No I don't oppose gay marriage, but I also don't see marriage as having any significant meaning, marriage these days isn’t much of a commitment, a couple can live a very happy life together without being married.

Are other faiths being compelled to accept gay marriage too? will mosques, and whatever Jewish places of worship called, have to accept same sex marriages?

Nobody is being compelled to do anything.

From the article in the OP -

In her statement, Mrs Miller promised a "quadruple lock" to protect religious freedom, involving:

No religious organisation or individual minister being compelled to marry same-sex couples or to permit this to happen on their premises

Making it unlawful for religious organisations or their ministers to marry same-sex couples unless their organisation's governing body has expressly opted in to provisions for doing so

Amending the 2010 Equality Act to ensure no discrimination claim can be brought against religious organisations or individual ministers for refusing to marry a same-sex couple

The legislation explicitly stating that it will be illegal for the Church of England and the Church in Wales to marry same-sex couples and that Canon Law, which bans same-sex weddings, will continue to apply

The thing I don't understand is this.

I was allowed to get married in a Church, and I'm of faith but not a Christian.

Non Religious people are allowed to get married in a Church.

So why shouldn't gays be allowed to get married in a Church? I can understand (and agree to an extent) that some clergy may see it as being against their belief and therefore not wish to preside over a same sex marriage, fair enough - but why would they think that is wrong yet marrying someone who doesn't believe in God at all is perfectly reasonable?

This is the argument for me and it's one that seems totally hypocritical on behalf of the Church - it makes no logical sense whatsoever.

As a matter of interest,did you recite the prayers and pretend, or did you remain silent.

I know that some clergy these days invite the couple to choose their own scripture readings,was that suggested to you? if so did you have a problem with that?

The thing I don't understand is this.

I was allowed to get married in a Church, and I'm of faith but not a Christian.

Non Religious people are allowed to get married in a Church.

So why shouldn't gays be allowed to get married in a Church? I can understand (and agree to an extent) that some clergy may see it as being against their belief and therefore not wish to preside over a same sex marriage, fair enough - but why would they think that is wrong yet marrying someone who doesn't believe in God at all is perfectly reasonable?

This is the argument for me and it's one that seems totally hypocritical on behalf of the Church - it makes no logical sense whatsoever.

I don't think it is anything to do with having a belief in God, one couple that don't believe in God can get married in church because it’s not a sin in the eyes of God and there is always the chance one day they might have faith, but they see same sex sex as a sin so they would be condoning that sin by allowing them to be married and blessed by the church.

It’s not even a sin to be gay which allows clergymen to be gay, the sin is when sex is involved and marriage usually results in sex. And yes I know that most people probably have sex before being married but it wasn’t always the case.

Are other faiths being compelled to accept gay marriage too? will mosques, and whatever Jewish places of worship called, have to accept same sex marriages?

Church of England ministers won't be compelled to perform a gay marriage,and no the law would only apply to the Cof E religion as far as i know,i may be wrong though.

As a matter of interest,did you recite the prayers and pretend, or did you remain silent[/Quote]

I recited (as I do everytime I visit a Church) the bits that were appropriate for me to recite, which basically means I left out the bits that refer to having faith in God or acknowledging Jesus has his son. There are plenty of passages that speak about doing good to your fellow man and the like which I have never had any problem with reciting.

I know that some clergy these days invite the couple to choose their own scripture readings,was that suggested to you? if so did you have a problem with that?

My wife chose the Christian readings for the benefit of her family, I don't remember off the top of my had what they were but again I think they were more generically mankind orientated than praising God.

I had no problem with those scriptures and the Church had no problem with the Buddhist scripture we had read.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 18:11 ----------

I don't think it is anything to do with having a belief in God, one couple that don't believe in God can get married in church because it’s not a sin in the eyes of God and there is always the chance one day they might have faith, but they see same sex sex as a sin so they would be condoning that sin by allowing them to be married and blessed by the church[/Quote]

You should read your Bible.

I'm not in a position to quote the scripture at the moment but there are very definately Biblical verses that say it is a sin not to believe in God, and even command the believer to go out and kill the non believer even if they are members of their own family.

It’s not even a sin to be gay which allows clergymen to be gay, the sin is when sex is involved and marriage usually results in sex. And yes I know that most people probably have sex before being married but it wasn’t always the case.

I'm not sure what your argument is here, it seems a little confused, would you like to clarify it for me?

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 18:17 ----------

Islamic and Buddhist marriages are not recognised in British law, not sure about other faiths but if a Muslim, or Buddhist couple want their marriage to be 'legal' they have to have a seperate secular ceramony.

The Church wedding is recognised in law so the rule of law should apply to it - I have no idea if you can have Christian weddings that are not recognised by law or whether they all are by default.

I don't think it is anything to do with having a belief in God, one couple that don't believe in God can get married in church because it’s not a sin in the eyes of God and there is always the chance one day they might have faith, but they see same sex sex as a sin so they would be condoning that sin by allowing them to be married and blessed by the church.

Who do you mean by 'they'?

:hihi::hihi: If they were you would not see the likes of halibut on this thread arguing about Islamic homophobia etc ........ :suspect:

Archived