Gay marriage to be made illegal in Churches (?)

The problem is one that comes up in a lot of situations:

If a clergyperson does not approve of same-sex marriage, should he or she have to perform one because the couple might sue for discrimination?

Should a doctor who disapprove of abortion be required by law to perform one?

Should Quakers be conscripted into the Army, and given orders to kill enemy soldiers?

Should Jews and Moslems be ordered to take jobs cooking pork?

The complication with s-s marriage is the issue of a threat of legal action if "my rights" are "violated"

The first 3 "locks" listed should cover this. If the 4th one goes ahead it will mean that (for the Church of England) it will remain illegal even if they change their position on the issue.

If their God says it is a sin to be gay then I don’t see how they can marry a gay couple without condoning that sin, they can’t just change what they believe just because the wider society finds something more acceptable than it did a few decades ago.

True but if you read the bible. You have a confirmed batchellor who prefers to frequent his time with other men.

Maybe Jesus himself is a gay man?

Strangely, Farage has popped up and is supportive of those Tories who cannot stomach gay marriage: Gay marriage row: UKIP plans to derail Cameron.

One of the MPs against gay marriage has quoted Jesus Christ, a well known middle eastern chap, in his arguments which is quite funny if you think of UKIPs stance against cultural changes to this country brought on by immigration of people and ideas.

Ah, I see, I was a bit confused by it, to be honest.

I think it would make more sense for them to make it legal for all, but allow sectors of the church to opt out if they wish to.

That's what they've done, but for some reason the CoE have been specially selected as not having the choice because they made it clear they didn't want the choice.

Seems a bit odd to me, it means they can't change their mind in the future.

I am pragmatic and open person, but almost every religion seems to be ridiculously out of touch with the modern world.

Gay is not something people choose to be, it is in their genetics, and part of nature.

A long time ago when no one could even begin to explain why everything was the way it was or how it was made, I can understand how religions could have started and got popular, but in this day and age, after centuries of observations and research by the brightest minds, it's hard for me to believe in any religion and understand how people can be so "brain washed".

Archived