Gay marriage to be made illegal in Churches (?)

Yes, I get it, one of you has to be the girl (the wife).

Yes, we didn't have much choice, she was born (and remains) female and I was born (and remain) male, otherwise we could have done things the other way around.

So were you the blushing groom? Is that the phrase one uses in these circumstances.

If the "circumstances" are that the groom is blushing, then yes.

I find it bewildering and a bit sad that even after the protestations from the hierarchy of the Churches, Mosques and the like, that gay and lesbian people would even contemplate getting married in a religious building. I would have thought the natural reaction would be to stick two fingers up, get married in a registry office, and vow never to go to church again

I find it bewildering and a bit sad that even after the protestations from the hierarchy of the Churches, Mosques and the like, that gay and lesbian people would even contemplate getting married in a religious building. I would have thought the natural reaction would be to stick two fingers up, get married in a registry office, and vow never to go to church again

Some same sex couples are religious and some religious folk don't consider homosexuality a sin.

I haven't suggested anyone should change what they believe. I'm talking about it being made illegal.

I haven't suggested that you did suggest that people should change what they believe.

As ever with the bible :roll:, it's down to interpretation,

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female"

There are many ways you could interpret this. Also, as always, there are those who will pick and choose which parts of the bible to believe and those who will justify other changes in attitude by saying "you have to move with the times" and "the Bible must be interpreted in context with the age" etc. Again, some tend to pick and choose which parts should move with the times and which ones shouldn't.

By your own standards, if all parties concerned within the ceremony don't believe it to be a sin, why shouldn't they be allowed to go ahead with it?

EDIT: Or a better point would be, if the Church of England ever changed it's position on gay marriage, it would remain illegal, therefore going against their beliefs, while it remains perfectly legal for other Churches to marry same sex couples.

I would imagine if the Church of England ever changes its position on same sex marriages the government will be happy to change the law and allow them to, but for now the Church of England have explicitly stated" their opposition to offering same-sex ceremonies, it looks to me like the government are just supporting the churches right to oppose same-sex ceremonies.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 16:44 ----------

Should it be made illegal for the religious to wear clothing made of mixed fabrics then?

:huh: I wouldn't think so.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 16:50 ----------

True but if you read the bible. You have a confirmed batchellor who prefers to frequent his time with other men.

Maybe Jesus himself is a gay man?

According to some he had a wife and children.

Archived