Employment at highest level since records began

Tony

It's nice to have some good news. There are more jobs now than at any time since records began in 1971.

From the Times

Subscription required, but here's the important extract. Other papers will have the same story.

The number of people in work in Britain rose to a record high in the three months to October as the labour market continued to defy downbeat predictions that the country is heading back into recession.

The number of people in work rose to 29.6 million in the period, the highest level since records began in 1971. Meanwhile the number of people without a job dropped by 82,000 to 2.51 million, the lowest level since the quarter ended May 2011.

The more timely claimant count measure of unemployment also declined. The number of people claiming jobless benefits dropped by 3,000 in November to 1.58 million, and an increase the previous month was also revised downwards. The jobless rate remained at 7.8 per cent.

The number of people in full-time jobs was 21.48 million for the three months to October, up 44,000 from the previous quarter, while there were 8.12 million in part-time work, down 4,000.

you should always be careful with taking economic indicators in isolation

so here's another one (also from the times)

"An extra 20,000 first-time buyers managed to secure a home loan in October, a rise of 14 per cent on the previous month and up 19 per cent on October 2011, according to figures from the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML).

The number of loans made to homebuyers rose to 49,000 in October, 10 per cent up on the same time last year. The CML figures show a year-on-year rise of 4.6 per cent to 29,400 in the number of loans to existing property owners who were moving home."

In the interest of balance, the report goes on to say that it is still difficult for first time buyers to get a big enough deposit, but it appears that it at least might not be getting any worse

i'm not making any party political point and i'm not a conservative supporter, but i am happy that the lives of the real people behind these statistics seem to be improving

That is good news, but 'underemployment' (i.e. part time workers wanting full time work), is also at it's highest level (over a million, I believe).

Still all this is a poke in the eye for those who claim that the unemployed are lazy scroungers who have it too good on the dole.

That is good news, but 'underemployment' (i.e. part time workers wanting full time work), is also at it's highest level (over a million, I believe).

That was running through my mind as I began reading but as you read further down it seems that full time jobs are up and part time jobs are coming down so it looks like we're seeing more full time work opportunities.

The number of people in full-time jobs was 21.48 million for the three months to October, up 44,000 from the previous quarter, while there were 8.12 million in part-time work, down 4,000

One of the big problems that we face here is the ease with which Eastern Europeans can migrate to the UK and absorb every job that comes along. Due to lax immigration policies between 2000 and 2010 we had 3000,000 immigrants who came to the UK which means we need to find millions of new jobs to keep unemployment static.

Added to this the reason why these economic migrants came; low wages in their own countries has caused major manufacturers to relocate British jobs to the very nations that are bombarding us with their unemployed.

One of the big problems that we face here is the ease with which Eastern Europeans can migrate to the UK and absorb every job that comes along. Due to lax immigration policies between 2000 and 2010 we had 3000,000 immigrants who came to the UK which means we need to find millions of new jobs to keep unemployment static.

Added to this the reason why these economic migrants came; low wages in their own countries has caused major manufacturers to relocate British jobs to the very nations that are bombarding us with their unemployed.

Many migrants come to Britain to hone their skills then take them back home.

http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/article.php/25210/article

Due to lax immigration policies between 2000 and 2010 we had 3000,000 immigrants who came to the UK which means we need to find millions of new jobs to keep unemployment static.

Where do you get the 3 million figure from? In the last decade net migration averaged below 200,000 a year and that figure I believe includes overseas students who bring money in and tend not to work.

Archived