Top Charity pay justified?

Why do Doctors and Surgeons get their top salaries too? Maybe they should be doing for the good of the community - after all why shouldn't they feel compelled to help people?

What about top level social workers - they should feel obliged for the good of their service users to just take a token pay eh?

and so on.... and so on.... Lets all work for penuts for the good of society eh. We should all feel a sense of community spirit for whatever work we provide.

Well back on planet earth "sense of community spirit" does not pay the mortgage and gas bills.

They are paid what the job demands. Just becuase its a charity does not mean it takes any less running than any other national or multinational company. Lots of responsibility, lots of stress, lots of things to manage.

To be honest, whilst I am sure they look excessive to the lay person most Charity CEO salaries are absolutely nowhere near your average Chief Exec in private companies. Nor do they get the luxury of share options, golden investment deals, offshore payments or any other perks.

I agree but then maybe CEO wages should be structured if they're of the same responsibilties, why does the Cancer Research CEO need £130,000 more then the Salvation Army CEO?

http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,,1043285,00.html

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 21:59 ----------

yes and no :)

no in the sense that very few of the large executive and senior people salaries can be justified.

yes in the sense that these are large charities which handle large amounts of money, have properties, assets and employees. the people at the top need to be capable of running an organisation of that size and to do that you need to pay something comparable to the private sector.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 21:47 ----------

if they didn't feel that chuggers and adverts didn't raise more than they cost then i doubt they would use them.

You would think that using Chuggers and marketing scams to emotionally black mail vulnerable people would be against a charities ethics?

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 22:00 ----------

I know the RSPCA has a huge portfolio of stocks and shares.

I will not give money to charities who try to mug me in the street or come knocking on my door of an evening. Neither will I give to any charity that tries to guilt me into contributing. Charity is mine to give, not to be negotiated out of me by one way or anther.

I did some work for Cancer Research and found them to be about as moral as McDonalds.

if they didn't feel that chuggers and adverts didn't raise more than they cost then i doubt they would use them.

They being the highly paid executives. Who need to maintain market share to justify their huge pay cheques, so it the blind sorts and the starving african people are paying 85p in the £1 to raise money then we need to, got to keep up with the market!

It's all nonsense. When I was a kid volunteers raised money. Now we have social media volunteers don't even have to leave their house to do the same, the whole chugger industry could be banned tomorrow and far more money would go to good causes.

I agree but then maybe CEO wages should be structured if they're of the same responsibilties, why does the Cancer Research CEO need £130,000 more then the Salvation Army CEO?

http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,,1043285,00.html

I dont know unless I see their job descriptions could be hundreds of reasons. No CEO pay is identical. Every organisation is completely different.

Why does the Opera House CEO deserve £65k more than the CEO of the largest cancer charity in the UK. There is no way they are the same responsibilities.

I am far more interested in the last block of numbers from your source.

Very interesting how much out of the Charity's income goes towards the CEO's pay. I'd say Cancer Research is quite low compared to say, the Opera "charities" or maybe Diana's memorial fund??? and the National Arts Collection Fund??? which is almost disgraceful.

The opera and arts collection salary's are a complete joke, I wonder if they actually do anything in those jobs?

Why do Doctors and Surgeons get their top salaries too?

If someone is elbow deep in your innards performing an operation to save your life I think they deserve to be well compensated.

Would you let any CEO near any part of your body?

Nope. I would expect a well trained, well educated, skilled and experienced person who is going to perform the job competently and to the best of their abilities.

Just like I would expect the same person handling a national or multinational organisation in charge of thousands of staff, offices, premises, responsibilities, legalities, operations and finances.

That is my point.

A Charity is no less work to run than any other large organisation. Therefore they should be paid the same as any other execuitve position.

Good of the cause, for the community or any other such guff should not even come into it. To run it successfully and competently it needs to be run like a business not a pet project.

Would you let any CEO near any part of your body?

Snigger.

That rather depends:D

I have a standing order with a huge national charity, which does brilliant work. The CEO gets a fair wedge too. Good luck to him, he clearly does a good job.

I also give to smaller charities too. More than to the national one. Mostly because they are more targetted and I can see what difference my cash makes.

Why do Doctors and Surgeons get their top salaries too? Maybe they should be doing for the good of the community - after all why shouldn't they feel compelled to help people?

What about top level social workers - they should feel obliged for the good of their service users to just take a token pay eh?

and so on.... and so on.... Lets all work for penuts for the good of society eh. We should all feel a sense of community spirit for whatever work we provide.

Well back on planet earth "sense of community spirit" does not pay the mortgage and gas bills.

They are paid what the job demands. Just becuase its a charity does not mean it takes any less running than any other national or multinational company. Lots of responsibility, lots of stress, lots of things to manage.

To be honest, whilst I am sure they look excessive to the lay person most Charity CEO salaries are absolutely nowhere near your average Chief Exec in private companies. Nor do they get the luxury of share options, golden investment deals, offshore payments or any other perks.[/quote]

They certainly do look excessive to the lay person because they are.

There used to be a ratio of Chief Exec pay to normal employees of about 8 to one (I'm not sure of the figures but they'll be out there somewhere.) Now they're something like 20 to 1, so the gap between top and bottom is now huge. This has risen because 'we have to pay the market rate to get the best people' (even though as someone has pointed out they sometimes have failed spectacularly...)

This argument never seems to apply to the people doing the actual work at the rock face. Don't they want these people to 'be the best' too?

I think this started because bankers pay distorted the figures and others scrambled to match it, but bankers pay has proved to be falsely procured, and has brought the country to its knees.

You could say that if those salaries mean they generate more money than that then it's justified yes. I mean say you went from a CEO that was on £50k to one on £150k, but s/he generated an increase in donations from £1m to £3m. Would that then be worth it? What if they only generated an increase from £1m to £2m? Salarys gone up more than donations as a percentage, but the total donations have still risen....

Myself I'm not too worried about exec pay, what I look at is to see how much of the donation is used for fundraising. Some charities spend ludicrious amounts, in fact most of their income to generate further income, and the trickle out the side is what is used for charitable good works. That to me seems very odd and I tend to give to those where most of the money does go to charitable works.

Archived