Top Charity pay justified?

I'd have no issue if a CEO could magically turn every 1 pound raised into 6 pounds in the bank.

But can anyone actually prove that the CEO is doing that, and by himself - not just employing a bunch of shady accountants to mess around with the books or giving lots of money to a risky hedge fund and getting lucky.

oh and the argument about how it's a massive organisation and they need to be paid x million to run it..................

How much does the PM get paid again?

I'd have no issue if a CEO could magically turn every 1 pound raised into 6 pounds in the bank.

But can anyone actually prove that the CEO is doing that, and by himself - not just employing a bunch of shady accountants to mess around with the books or giving lots of money to a risky hedge fund and getting lucky.

oh and the argument about how it's a massive organisation and they need to be paid x million to run it..................

Good point.

I think you are maligning accountants,some of which are highly ethical.Many give their services free to charity.

For charities with gross income over £25,000 in the accounting year there is a legal requirement for external scrutiny in the form an independent review. Those with an income over £500k are audited. So a charity not only has to report to a board of trustees but all accounting activity is subject to rigorous scrutiny. The charity has to provide access to bank accounts etc to prove that money hasn't been siphoned off. Most of the charities that have been subject to fraud are those who have an independent examination rather than a rigorous audit.

I know that for every pound I earn, the charity receives £40. Out of this £40 less than £1 goes towards running costs with the remainder going directly too beneficiaries. I'd say that's pretty good value.

Furthermore charities are working in extremely tough economic conditions (as is everyone). However, we have the toughest job - we have to sell something that the purchaser doesnt receive benefit from. Gone are the days of fluffy warm businesses. Its cut-throat out there and only the fittest, well managed charities will survive.

That's why we earn our salary.

Archived