Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

Why only five year olds.

A lot of this travelling to the other side of the city is pure snobbery.

There is a school within walking distance in most areas of Sheffield.

its not snobbery,its just getting the best for your kids,i live on arbourthorne and my kids went to a school up fulwood it was a better school full stop.my son went on to go to university wouldnt have happened if he went to a school round where we live.and yes i did try the local school for my first son but ended up moving them.and back on the subject of bus passes,i recieved a letter stating if you go to church and you choose a church school close to where you live you will still get a bus pass if you choose a school further a way then you dont

• 3 weeks later...

Sheffield Council’s Cabinet yesterday voted to scrap free bus passes for up to 1,000 children attending church schools in the city.

But the city’s councillors still have their own free bus passes, city centre parking permits and have their other travel costs picked up by the council.

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9002805310/councillors-scrap-bus-passes-for-church-schools---but-keep-their-own-AT-sheffield-sheffield-town-hall/

It makes sense to remove the passes which were available only for reasons of religion,and therefore unavailable to all the other children who are forced to pay full fares for having beliefs which were not RC.Councillors have to attend meetings and give their time freely to execute their duties while many others simply sit back and carp.

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 13:02 ----------

Noce to see that kept the importand free pass's then!!!

To see you noce.

It makes sense to remove the passes which were available only for reasons of religion,and therefore unavailable to all the other children who are forced to pay full fares for having beliefs which were not RC.Councillors have to attend meetings and give their time freely to execute their duties while many others simply sit back and carp.

Councillors choose to attend these meetings as no one forces them to become councillors.

These kids have little or no choice where they are schooled.

Councillors choose to attend these meetings as no one forces them to become councillors.

These kids have little or no choice where they are schooled.

All catholic schools are opt in,and other local schools are provided within walking distance.No one forces councillors to stand but many do it because there would be a political vacuum which might otherwise be filled by small groups of unrepresentative candidates ,some of which are antisemitic,racist etc.

Archived