Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

It amazes me that anyone should be surprised at any Council attempt to save money. With £57 million cut from the budget this year & another £30 million to come next, asking parents to pay for their children's bus fare is pretty small fry.

What will you be saying on here when vital services disappear completely?

With the greatest of respect, I think what this thread needs is someone to post who actually knows what they're talking about rather than just a few random facts.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/viewticket.aspx?id=922

There's a hint in the linked article that it may have other reasons. When "The spokesman denied the move to withdraw funding was a response to some church schools seeking to become academies outside of local authority control," you may wonder.

At £55,000 a year perhaps the bus companies could pick up the tab as a goodwill gesture? (On second thoughts they'd just up all the fares to cover it :rolleyes:)

funny how this wont effect muslim children going out of the way to muslim schools!!

bang out of order

I hardly think there's a big issue over sending children to the one Islamic school we have in Sheffield :

http://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/schools/200407/jamia-al-hudaa

Which, by the way, is independent, so the families pay for their education anyway.

Any excuse, though, eh Bladesufc?

All kids who go to Church of England and Catholic primary and secondary schools across the city will have to pay £1.20 a day, per child, in future if the proposals go through:

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9002723695/council-set-to-scrap-bus-passes-for-kids-attending-church-schools-AT-sheffield-sheffield-town-hall/

There is a consultation on the plans which closes on Friday. Parents can give their view at: admissionsconsultation@sheffield.gov.uk

this news was in the Rotherham Advertiser earlier this year.

I hardly think there's a big issue over sending children to the one Islamic school we have in Sheffield :

Which, by the way, is independent, so the families pay for their education anyway.

Clinical finishing. Like a Barcelona striker.

Nicely done!

I feel it is wrong to scrap these free bus passes - if you are a "god botherer" as some people like to put it and send your kids to these schools why shouldn't they get free school travel in fact to be honest I think ALL kids under 16 should get free travel on public transport. All OAPs get free travel irrespective of income so why shouldn't all children get free travel irrespective of family income or religion?

well there is really isn't there???

I got the impression this was the same for a lot of other areas in the country.

If you apply for your child to go to the school in your catchment area but you fail to get a place, then they have to go to one further away. If that distance is greater than X miles, then they can get a free pass.

If you deliberately send your children to a school further away by choice, then you don't get a free pass.

.. which is exactly what it says in the news article linked:

‘LAs [Local Authorities] are not required to provide transport if the child is attending a distant school and a place is available at a school nearer the child’s home. Therefore, if a child’s parents choose not to send their child to their nearest school but send their child to a school some distance away, the LA will not necessarily have to provide transport.’

It adds: 'The LA can decide not to exercise its discretion in favour of certain categories of discretionary transport i.e. denominational.'

The council stresses its proposed changes do not include children who have special educational needs or who get free transport due to being in receipt of free school meals.

So up to know there has been a loophole in the system where faith schools have been exempt on the grounds children can't go to any other local school and must go to the faith school that is further away; ergo must get free travel.

Makes sense to me, creates a level playing field.

Archived