Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

Am I right in thinking that non-church school kids don't get free buses and have to pay their own way? If so, then I support this removal of the free passes to god-botherer kids. Why should they get free transport if others don't?

What's the situation with private schools?

What will you be saying on here when vital services disappear completely?

Something like "why on earth did we keep voting in Gordon Brown and his Labour Party to **** all that money up the wall for 13 years"

Is that what you had in mind?

All kids who go to Church of England and Catholic primary and secondary schools across the city will have to pay £1.20 a day, per child, in future if the proposals go through:

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9002723695/council-set-to-scrap-bus-passes-for-kids-attending-church-schools-AT-sheffield-sheffield-town-hall/

There is a consultation on the plans which closes on Friday. Parents can give their view at: admissionsconsultation@sheffield.gov.uk

Brilliant I'm glad they are stopping it. I went to Notre Dame and I couldnt have a free pass because "so the school said" I wasnt a Catholic. About time we have equality in this city. The Church gets enough money from all the land they own etc why should they get more benefits from the state.

Will this include any muslim schools then?

I hardly think there's a big issue over sending children to the one Islamic school we have in Sheffield :

http://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/schools/200407/jamia-al-hudaa

Which, by the way, is independent, so the families pay for their education anyway.

Any excuse, though, eh Bladesufc?

As RosyRat said earlier....

What's the situation with private schools?

Students at independent schools don't get passes, to the best of my knowledge, but the schools do put on their own transport. Sheffield High and Birkdale share a number of minibus routes for example, and pick the children up from various areas. That's free, but then the school costs cover it.

Brilliant I'm glad they are stopping it. I went to Notre Dame and I couldnt have a free pass because "so the school said" I wasnt a Catholic. About time we have equality in this city. The Church gets enough money from all the land they own etc why should they get more benefits from the state.

So why as a non catholic did you go to a catholic school , plenty of other decent secondaries in the area or is it because this particular school has such a good reputation?

So why as a non catholic did you go to a catholic school , plenty of other decent secondaries in the area or is it because this particular school has such a good reputation?

I see nothing wrong with parents trying to get their child into the schools they consider will be best for their education. Not everyone can afford to live near to the best performing schools. But I think if people make the choice not to send their child to the local school, they should accept that they might have to make some sacrifices, ie paying transport costs.

The Star has reported it as 'An Unholy Row' http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/an-unholy-row-over-bus-fares-for-school-children-in-sheffield-1-5160471

I see nothing wrong with parents trying to get their child into the schools they consider will be best for their education. Not everyone can afford to live near to the best performing schools. But I think if people make the choice not to send their child to the local school, they should accept that they might have to make some sacrifices, ie paying transport costs.

The Star has reported it as 'An Unholy Row' http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/an-unholy-row-over-bus-fares-for-school-children-in-sheffield-1-5160471

Agree with you on this one.

Just heard a man on the news (not watching, I'm in the kitchen) talking about his child who attends Notre Dame - He said its not about the money, but about having a choice of schools. He didn't choose to send his child there though, it was his closest school. So, then surely it doesn't effect him as his child won't have or need a bus pass?

Archived