Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

There really should be no argument to this. Transport should be free or subsidised for all children regardless of ethnic origin, religion, distance etc. The most important thing is to get a child to a place of education. The government talk about people out of work and getting people back to work. It's well proven that people who have some form of education have a better chance of finding a job so lets encourage families to get children to a place of education. Not put further financial pressure on struggling families.

There really should be no argument to this. Transport should be free or subsidised for all children regardless of ethnic origin, religion, distance etc. The most important thing is to get a child to a place of education. The government talk about people out of work and getting people back to work. It's well proven that people who have some form of education have a better chance of finding a job so lets encourage families to get children to a place of education. Not put further financial pressure on struggling families.

Or your kids could walk to your local school.

(too complicated, it'll never work)

I'm with you 100% on this all kids should be able to travel to and from school for free and for the record my son has a free pass and the tram conductor made him cough up full fare which he did last night because the conductor in the duty of his job believed it was too late for my son to be travelling home from after school club - it was well before 7 pm! Sorry when I say full fare I mean 60p

30 minutes? Give over,that's not even going to work up a sweat, never mind need free transport. Is there any child living in the Sheffield conurbation that needs to walk more than 15 minutes to the local comprehensive?

30 minutes? Give over,that's not even going to work up a sweat, never mind need free transport. Is there any child living in the Sheffield conurbation that needs to walk more than 15 minutes to the local comprehensive?

I lived in Hackenthorpe but went to Westfield. Took about 30 minutes to walk but it was a nice walk and good exercise. Nice chance to chat with friends too.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Or your kids could walk to your local school.

(too complicated, it'll never work)

Whatever happened to 'freedom of choice'? What's the point in league tables if children should all go to their local schools?

Whatever happened to 'freedom of choice'? What's the point in league tables if children should all go to their local schools?

In my experience little choice is actually available to many families, as the schools considered to be the best are usually heavily oversubscribed. Hence people pay a fortune for properties in 'good' catchment areas, because they know its often the only way to get their child into a particular school.

In my experience little choice is actually available to many families, as the schools considered to be the best are usually heavily oversubscribed. Hence people pay a fortune for properties in 'good' catchment areas, because they know its often the only way to get their child into a particular school.

There are also parents that "choose" the catholic faith for their children, as they do not want them to go to their local school.

Am I right in thinking that non-church school kids don't get free buses and have to pay their own way? If so, then I support this removal of the free passes to god-botherer kids. Why should they get free transport if others don't?

that is correct all other pupils attending non faith schools have to pay 60p per journey so all this would be doing is bringing all saints and notre damme into line with all the other schools

Archived