Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

30 minutes? Give over,that's not even going to work up a sweat, never mind need free transport. Is there any child living in the Sheffield conurbation that needs to walk more than 15 minutes to the local comprehensive?

There's no School that has less than a 30 min walk from here:-

Oddly enough the two "selective" (Catholic Schools are the two nearest High-Schools to here:-

All Saints Catholic High School 1.5 miles /30mins

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=All+Saints+Catholic+High+School,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.370861,-1.473284&spn=0.020177,0.038581&sll=53.36932,-1.504385&sspn=0.020177,0.038581&geocode=FcFRLgMdRkjp_w%3BFX1qLgMdssHp_yG2pjZ-UF_ajCl3g4ZgmIJ5SDG2pjZ-UF_ajA&oq=all+Sheffield&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=15

The next nearest is the other Catholic High School, Notre Dame

Notre Dame 1.8 miles /37 mins

Many of the schools involve a proper hike uphill, so i think the times are a conservative estimate, on what should be flat land...

High Storrs 1.8 miles 40 mins

King Teds 1.9 miles / 40 mins

Tapton 1.9 miles /40 mins

Newfield 2.2 miles / 47 mins

Silverdale 2.5 miles 52 mins

Sheffield Springs Academy (former Hurlfield/ Myrtle Springs)2.9 miles / 1 hr 2 mins

Sheffield Park Academy (former Waltheof School) 3.4 miles/ 1 hr 10 mins

Meadowhead School 3.5 mi, 1 hour 13 mins

King Egcberts 4.7 1 hr 36 mins

that is correct all other pupils attending non faith schools have to pay 60p per journey so all this would be doing is bringing all saints and notre damme into line with all the other schools

The problem with this is, that the article said "It will cost parents £1.20 a day".

This is wrong. That's only if they have ONE child, taking ONE bus each way to school each day.

Many children have to take 2 buses, so it's £2.40 a day... and then that has to be multiplied by the number of children using buses to school.

With 2 kids, it's nearly a fiver (£4.80) each day. For three kids, it's over £7, (£7.20) plus the cost of school meals on top of that. If the child has to get THREE buses, then we are talking almost crippling costs of fares.

There should not be any religionists schools of any description all kids should be mixed together. People who I know suddenly become good catholics when it is time for their kids to start school in the mistaken belief that they will some how get a better education.

If they want this then they should be prepared to pay the transport cost as most have to travel to these separatist schools.

All kids who go to Church of England and Catholic primary and secondary schools across the city will have to pay £1.20 a day, per child, in future if the proposals go through:

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9002723695/council-set-to-scrap-bus-passes-for-kids-attending-church-schools-AT-sheffield-sheffield-town-hall/

There is a consultation on the plans which closes on Friday. Parents can give their view at: admissionsconsultation@sheffield.gov.uk

Get one thing clear. Church of England School kids have always had tp pay , indeed so have all other denomination schools. It is only the Catholic children that have enjoyed this previlage and none Catholic kids who attend catholic Schools also had to pay. It has been a long standing anomaly

However all children regardless of school, who live over 3 miles from their school still will qualify for the bus pass

However all children regardless of school, who live over 3 miles from their school still will qualify for the bus pass

Will they?

If the local school is closer they will pay as I read it?

In our case if our child attends All Saints rather than City we'll pay.Where's the consultation ,as we made our choice for 2013 before this came out.

Families in receipt of free school meals or Maximum Working Families Tax Credit will receive free transport so education of choice will be be polarised with the middle group of earning families penalised.

Have I misread it?

30 minutes? Give over,that's not even going to work up a sweat, never mind need free transport. Is there any child living in the Sheffield conurbation that needs to walk more than 15 minutes to the local comprehensive?

Depends how fast you walk! Even if mine were to go to the local school they would still travel on a school bus

I always wonder if those people posting that children should walk 30 min to a local school are actually parents. Personally there would be no way I would allow my daughter at the age of 11 to walk along a B road with limited foot path to get to her catchment school.

At the end of the day it is a legal requirement for children to be in education if oap's can have a free bus pass then children attending education should also irrespective of which school they attend. When all 3 of mine get to secondary it will cost me £18 a week in bus fare based on today's prices obviously I will have to find it and pay it, but how many families wouldn't be able to? Another attempt at social exclusion maybe?

I always wonder if those people posting that children should walk 30 min to a local school are actually parents. Personally there would be no way I would allow my daughter at the age of 11 to walk along a B road with limited foot path to get to her catchment school.

At the end of the day it is a legal requirement for children to be in education if oap's can have a free bus pass then children attending education should also irrespective of which school they attend. When all 3 of mine get to secondary it will cost me £18 a week in bus fare based on today's prices obviously I will have to find it and pay it, but how many families wouldn't be able to? Another attempt at social exclusion maybe?

I'm with u 100 percent I think all kids should be able to travel to and from school for free

Some facts to help with the argument...

Parents can choose to send their child to a Catholic primary school in their community let's say for example St Thomas Moore on Yew Lane. Historically there were 5 Catholic secondary schools and St Thomas Moore kids would have gone to St Peters just round the corner. When the local authority closed 3 of the schools so that now kids from St Thomas Moore fed into Notre Dame the authority as part of the deal agreed to the zero fare pass. The consultation has been very poor even by Sheffield LA standards.

Archived