Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

The problem with this is, that the article said "It will cost parents £1.20 a day".

This is wrong. That's only if they have ONE child, taking ONE bus each way to school each day.

Many children's families CHOOSE for them to take 2 buses, so it's £2.40 a day... and then that has to be multiplied by the number of children using buses to school.

With 2 kids, it's nearly a fiver (£4.80) each day. For three kids, it's over £7, (£7.20) plus the cost of school meals on top of that. If the child has to get THREE buses, then we are talking almost crippling costs of fares.

Made an edit to reflect what actually happens. No child HAS to take 2 buses in Sheffield to attend a secondary school .

Scrap all buses and make them all walk. One way to cure the obesity epidemic.

Oh and the 1.5 miles per 30 min is VERY conservative. I used to walk to/from my old place of work in 35mins, with various gradients along the route. According to my GPS walking app it was 3.61 miles one way.

get a grip, your telling me you would walk to granville rd from woodhouse everyday or allow your child to walk along a main road with no path, its not all black and white, nor is it about lazy kids who are obese. It is about child safety and equality, and before people jump on the ' in my day' band wagon times have changed move with it.

get a grip, your telling me you would walk to granville rd from woodhouse everyday or allow your child to walk along a main road with no path, its not all black and white, nor is it about lazy kids who are obese. It is about child safety and equality, and before people jump on the ' in my day' band wagon times have changed move with it.

Do you have a grip on how many schools would your child walk past between Granville Road and Woodhouse?

So why as a non catholic did you go to a catholic school , plenty of other decent secondaries in the area or is it because this particular school has such a good reputation?

Firstly yes I went to a Catholic school but it wasnt my choice. I dont know any kids who chose the schools themselves.

However my argument is we the taxpayer shouldnt be paying for this discrimination. The Catholics are minted they should pay for it themselves. When I couldnt get a pass I thought it was down to the Catholics bankrolling it (which doesnt bother me) and then I find out its the rest of us thats subsidising one of the richest religeons in the world.

Made an edit to reflect what actually happens. No child HAS to take 2 buses in Sheffield to attend a secondary school .

a) Even if the school is outside the catchment area because the nearest school(s) are oversubscribed?

b) What about the case of the kids from the Wisewood area who go to the former Myers Grove (MG) site, since Wisewood Secondary has closed and merged with Myers? There's no direct route for them. same for the kids in the Middlewood area. They need two buses to get to either MG or Parkwood Academy. (the two nearest schools)

I had to take two buses each way to my Secondary school (High Storrs- HS) as I was not permitted to transfer to Ashleigh which was at the top of my road.

Before the move near Ashleigh, I still had to catch two buses because of the timing and unreliability of the single run of the number 4 early in the morning, which went via Sharrow lane to serve High Storrs/ Silverdale. I needed a bus to town, then a bus up Ecclesall road to HS.

Yep I sure do, and personally I wouldn't send my child to any one of them, whih is why she attends a Rotherham one!

personally I dont think the faith or catchment issues should come into it, if a child has to travel to get to school they should be entitled to a free bus pass.

But your child does not have to travel - you are choosing for her to do that. Therefore free bus passes are not appropriate.

What if I live in Sheffield but choose to travel to York to work- should my train fare be free?

a) Even if the school is outside the catchment area because the nearest school(s) are oversubscribed?

b) What about the case of the kids from the Wisewood area who go to the former Myers Grove (MG) site, since Wisewood Secondary has closed and merged with Myers? There's no direct route for them. same for the kids in the Middlewood area. They need two buses to get to either MG or Parkwood Academy. (the two nearest schools)

I had to take two buses each way to my Secondary school (High Storrs- HS) as I was not permitted to transfer to Ashleigh which was at the top of my road.

Before the move near Ashleigh, I still had to catch two buses because of the timing and unreliability of the single run of the number 4 early in the morning, which went via Sharrow lane to serve High Storrs/ Silverdale. I needed a bus to town, then a bus up Ecclesall road to HS.

a - are there that many kids that don't get into their catchement school? could only be a handful if that.

b- good point re Wisewood kids but not sure how long it would take on average for them to walk there.

Archived