Councillors scrap bus passes for kids - but keep their own

Kevin123

a) Even if the school is outside the catchment area because the nearest school(s) are oversubscribed?

b) What about the case of the kids from the Wisewood area who go to the former Myers Grove (MG) site, since Wisewood Secondary has closed and merged with Myers? There's no direct route for them. same for the kids in the Middlewood area. They need two buses to get to either MG or Parkwood Academy. (the two nearest schools)

I had to take two buses each way to my Secondary school (High Storrs- HS) as I was not permitted to transfer to Ashleigh which was at the top of my road.

Before the move near Ashleigh, I still had to catch two buses because of the timing and unreliability of the single run of the number 4 early in the morning, which went via Sharrow lane to serve High Storrs/ Silverdale. I needed a bus to town, then a bus up Ecclesall road to HS.

I could be wrong and they may have changed it since last academic year, but there is a school bus for the Wisewood kids - so 1 bus (it is under 3 miles too so not free though).

When my children were at school we moved to a different area but decided to keep them at the same school. This was about 3 miles away. This was our choice so therefore we never expected free travel and rightly so. We felt it was our responsibility.

Yes all children are required by law to be educated whether at school or at home and schools are provided within your catchment area. If there are no places at these schools (as often happens ) and the child has to travel then I think it is correct to expect free travel to and from the school. However if it is your personal choice to send the child to another school then you should cover the cost. IT'S YOUR CHOICE.

a) Even if the school is outside the catchment area because the nearest school(s) are oversubscribed?

If it's more than 2 or 3 miles (whatever the distance is) they get a free bus pass. If it's less, they don't.

If parents deliberately chose to send children to another school outside the catchment area when there is a school with places nearby, they don't get a free bus pass.

What's wrong with that? The free bus pass is the LEA compensating you for your child to have to travel further to school.

I always wonder if those people posting that children should walk 30 min to a local school are actually parents. Personally there would be no way I would allow my daughter at the age of 11 to walk along a B road with limited foot path to get to her catchment school.

At the end of the day it is a legal requirement for children to be in education if oap's can have a free bus pass then children attending education should also irrespective of which school they attend. When all 3 of mine get to secondary it will cost me £18 a week in bus fare based on today's prices obviously I will have to find it and pay it, but how many families wouldn't be able to? Another attempt at social exclusion maybe?

would not child benefit cover this cost.. i know when i got child benefit for my kids it was used for things like this

Yep I sure do, and personally I wouldn't send my child to any one of them, whih is why she attends a Rotherham one!

personally I dont think the faith or catchment issues should come into it, if a child has to travel to get to school they should be entitled to a free bus pass.

Does that mean if I live somewhere with a poor bus service I should be entitled to claim fuel on expenses if I have to take them in the car? Where would this 'free' travel end?

Have you actually thought about who foots the bill?

b) What about the case of the kids from the Wisewood area who go to the former Myers Grove (MG) site, since Wisewood Secondary has closed and merged with Myers? There's no direct route for them. same for the kids in the Middlewood area. They need two buses to get to either MG or Parkwood Academy. (the two nearest schools)

I had to take two buses each way to my Secondary school (High Storrs- HS) as I was not permitted to transfer to Ashleigh which was at the top of my road.

Before the move near Ashleigh, I still had to catch two buses because of the timing and unreliability of the single run of the number 4 early in the morning, which went via Sharrow lane to serve High Storrs/ Silverdale. I needed a bus to town, then a bus up Ecclesall road to HS.

hi plain talker.. if you are talking about the number 4 bus in the late 70,s it used to be every 15 mins as most of us got this bus to go to Abbeydale Grange.. i always thought that you went to abbeydale grange i cant ever remember the number 4 going up to High Storrs apart from stopping at the Ecclesall terminus before heading off down either Springfield Road or Dobcroft Road

I went to All Saints on Granville Road (many many many years ago) but I think the problem is that such schools (Notre Dame too) have a reputaion as being 'excellent' schools. I know other schools are just as good, some maybe even better. When I went, the majority of pupils came from 'feeder schools' or catholic junior schools. That isn't the case anymore and they get applicants from all over Sheffield and from all junior schools. My sister went to Notre Dame and we lived the other side of Sheffield at Richmond but we both went to the same junior school that sent everyone to either All Saints or Notre Dame.

The walk from Wisewood to Forge Valley is hardly arduous. Most kids could do it in about 15 minutes. No need for a bus pass.

Will they?

If the local school is closer they will pay as I read it?

In our case if our child attends All Saints rather than City we'll pay.Where's the consultation ,as we made our choice for 2013 before this came out.

Families in receipt of free school meals or Maximum Working Families Tax Credit will receive free transport so education of choice will be be polarised with the middle group of earning families penalised.

Have I misread it?

Why should the rest of the taxpayers of the city pay for your choice of school? I don't particularly want to pay for your kids bus fares. I've enough on paying for my own kids thanks.

If you choose All Saints rather than city, fair enough, but it comes at a cost. If you make the decision, surely you should bear the cost.

Archived