Insulation for internal solid walls

mc55

Chimney sweep is coming on 21st December. I think you will be right - I know that the apron / flashing etc around the chimney is in dire need of attention and it also has some rubbish tiles and some pointing that needs repairing. Just waiting for my roofer to have time to fit me in and I'll also ask him to cap the unused chimney with a mushroom top pot thingy and will get him to fit a pot onto the one that we want to use eventually. I think between the roof/chimney repairs and then the sweeping it'll hopefully sort the issues.

I think we bought a bit of a money pit - good job we love it !

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 23:39 ----------

I think I might have caused some confusion with my description. The wall I'm going to insulate is the external wall ... but I'm putting the insulation on the 'inside' of the exterior wall (haha guess this is probably bleeding obvious to most of you, you're not gonna stick it to the outside right !!).

I have also put some mineral wool into the interior 'stud' walling which will then have plasterboard over the top - for sound and additional heat loss prevention :)

Sorry I realised that I had not read your OP properly. The insulation benefits of fitting something like celotex or kingspan on external walls are significant but the pay back in heat savings will pobably take a few years.

The kingspan datasheets recommend a minimum thickness of product for solid walls to achieve the U-value required by building regs. IIRC there is an issue with a potential for condensation on thinner boards because they are not able to fullly insulate from the cold, but I could be wrong.

It's a good idea to pay attention to the corner and floor details to avoid cold bridging too. I know most of the standard wall boards in my house a fitted around skirting level but the insulated ones need to meet the floor insulation.

We fitted a similar insulated plasterboad to the inside of the walls of our offshot kitchen when we had it redone instead of normal plasterboad, the difference between the kitchen with the insulation and the bathroom above which has only tiles on normal plaster is definately noticeable, the kitchen stays warmer for longer with the new insulation in place.

anyone used Celotex for internal solid wall insulation ? I've bought some of the small slabs to put in my small toilet on the inside of the outside wall which has no plaster currently. Debating buying it for the rest of the house, but it's quite expensive, so interested to hear any thoughts for / against it.

It contains an material called polyisocyanurate commonly refered to in the trade as PIR. It has one of the best thermal performances on the market and its reflected in it price. Not sure what else ther is to say about it. There are cheaper anternative that will give you the same thermal performance.

Celotex is brilliant for thermal applications where space is at a premium. If you we're insulating a flat roof, you could install 150mm between the joists to meet current building regulations, you would need 270mm to achieve the same u values if you we're using mineral wool which wouldn't fit.

For an internal bathroom wall you are after sound insulation properties. Mineral wool would be best for this application. It's much cheaper too.

Doesnt the Celotex or whatever need to be on top of the ceiling joists, not between them, to create a warm roof??

I'm interested cos Im re-roofing my extension in the spring and its a cold roof at the minute....

It contains an material called polyisocyanurate commonly refered to in the trade as PIR. It has one of the best thermal performances on the market and its reflected in it price. Not sure what else ther is to say about it. There are cheaper anternative that will give you the same thermal performance.

It is certainly expensive - the roof batts I bought were £5.99 each :o they're going into my attic bedroom ceiling tomorrow (which is straight onto the roof rafters) - I took down the wall & grotty old ceiling today and looked like I'd been down the mine :)

Tomorrow me and my builder are putting a loft hatch ready for the gas man to come and insulate the roof space next year :banana:

Archived