Panorama: Britain's Hidden Housing Crisis

This was what surprised me, that as council tenants no suitable plan had been arranged with the council. The program did state there was a problem with their housing benefit payments which were being looked into, but it appears, too late.

Even if that were the case, they could have entered into a payment plan for the unpaid rent, even a small regular amount would have probably stopped the council going for eviction.

This program is making for very uncomfortable viewing.

The first family took out a 100% mortgage on a £500,000 house with £2,000 mortgage payments per month, for 10 years the husbands engineering company was doing well, family ski holidays etc, for 10 years, nothing put aside for the bad times, are you kidding me. "We had two cars, we sold one which paid for Christmas." WTF?

Second lady, husband left her, fell behind on her payments, sadly got cancer, house originally bought for £54k now worth £180k. Bank is going to repossess due to £9000 arrears. What about her illness policy that should have been taken out with the mortgage, that would have paid off her mortgage upon a cancer diagnosis surely?

Family of 6 in a one bedroom flat I can't even comment on. No sympathy though except for those poor children.

Watching this program in disbelief :rant:

Investment banker on wall street, doing well for years, then a crash and he's got nothing, how can you have nothing after running a successful wall street firm for years.

I must be missing something here.

It said on the programme that he had put all his own money into propping up his business. Banking creates vast sums of money and can lose vast sums very quickly.

Divide and rule....divide and conquer......It's the same old , same old and it still works. Why can't people SEE IT!:(

People can't see this because they are too busy trying to improve their own individual lot in life.

Similar to Communism, which doesn't work because it is every man's individual nature to want to succeed and improve his own lot in life.

People can't see this because they are too busy trying to improve their own individual lot in life.

Similar to Communism which doesn't work because it is every man's individual nature to want to succeed and improve his own lot in life.

But the game is "rigged" from the outset so that the same people win all the time.:(

Are you sure it's not called: "Morons loose their ass"

People that stupid shouldn't be allowed to own property.

Heart go's out to that family tho, but why were 6 living in a 1 bed flat?

Nice to see the warm, sympathetic, milk of human kindness brigade are out again....

Archived