Panorama: Britain's Hidden Housing Crisis

Odd reporting in this programme, I'm sure we weren't told the whole truth regarding the people shown.

The family in the £500k house who took out 100% mortgage ! Don't they ever learn, and surely they could see what was coming but it seems they buried their heads in the sand !!! They had plenty of time to sell up and buy a cheaper house. Stupid people.

The woman with cancer who bought her council house for £54k ( now worth £180k ) should have done the same. There would have been plenty of collateral in the house to enable her to do this. Things don't happen overnight, it takes quite a while to get to the bailiff stage, plenty of time to sell.

The family who had been placed in private rented accommodation had been given plenty of assistance but didn't help themselves by not filling in the forms sent to them. You could tell they were a 'problem' family by their attitude. They even caused their own eviction from the first private rented accommodation, no hopers.

I don't have much sympathy with people who won't help themselves.

It was an odd programme though.

One of the children accidentally broke a Paine of glass. The father said he was willing to pay for it. Hardly causing their own eviction.

What bothered me most was how quickly the landlord was able to evict them. Can you evict people almost immediately if they are in B&B accommodation?

Odd reporting in this programme, I'm sure we weren't told the whole truth regarding the people shown.

The family in the £500k house who took out 100% mortgage ! Don't they ever learn, and surely they could see what was coming but it seems they buried their heads in the sand !!! They had plenty of time to sell up and buy a cheaper house. Stupid people.

The woman with cancer who bought her council house for £54k ( now worth £180k ) should have done the same. There would have been plenty of collateral in the house to enable her to do this. Things don't happen overnight, it takes quite a while to get to the bailiff stage, plenty of time to sell.

The family who had been placed in private rented accommodation had been given plenty of assistance but didn't help themselves by not filling in the forms sent to them. You could tell they were a 'problem' family by their attitude. They even caused their own eviction from the first private rented accommodation, no hopers.

I don't have much sympathy with people who won't help themselves.

It was an odd programme though.

The first example, the ones who 'owned' a £500k property then lost it through stupidity! See my post about the financially feckless, the customers the banks love because of their insatiable desire for debt? That's them.

The sad thing is that millions of these people still exist, holed up in properties way beyond their reach. And the rest of us are paying for it. In fact the whole economy is paying for it.

One of the children accidentally broke a Paine of glass. The father said he was willing to pay for it. Hardly causing their own eviction.

What bothered me most was how quickly the landlord was able to evict them. Can you evict people almost immediately if they are in B&B accommodation?

Well if it wasn't the broken pane of glass that caused their eviction they must have done something else to cause it, a landlord won't evict a tenant for no reason, remember he's getting paid for them living there.

Well if it wasn't the broken pane of glass that caused their eviction they must have done something else to cause it, a landlord won't evict a tenant for no reason, remember he's getting paid for them living there.

Yes, landlord was getting paid good money to have a family of six living in a one bed flat with flee infested beds.

The council has a duty, I believe, to rehouse the homeless, but not the intentionally homeless.

However has anybody mentioned the strange criteria for becoming intentionally homeless?

Defaulting on a mortgage, or not being able to pay the rent for whatever reason is no excuse apparently - you have made yourself homeless and do not qualify for rehousing.

Is this correct?

Archived