2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Having seen the Tour a few times now in France, in my opinion it is better to watch it on TV! Road disruption, crowds of folk and the race itself is past in about a minute. We had French students staying with us for about 10 years, in England to improve their English and non were interested in the Tour.

It is confirmed. There will be no public access to cineworld parking. Staff will have to walk that day. I rather see the tour than a movie but a big parking opportunity has been dumped

I dunno, if the car park was to be opened it would be utter, utter carnage in there. Probably best it stays shut.

The eateries will still do a roaring trade, bowling and cinema probably will as well as people will make a day of it.

IThe eateries will still do a roaring trade, bowling and cinema probably will as well as people will make a day of it.

You are thinking positively. Be careful, many on here (the forum in general) don't like that. Put on your flak jacket now.

I dunno, if the car park was to be opened it would be utter, utter carnage in there. Probably best it stays shut.

The eateries will still do a roaring trade, bowling and cinema probably will as well as people will make a day of it.

It might be the emergency services have looked into the possibility that if it got oput there were a few hundred parking spaces, then everyone would ignore the main message of walking and public transport and many thousands could descend on it.

It might be the emergency services have looked into the possibility that if it got oput there were a few hundred parking spaces, then everyone would ignore the main message of walking and public transport and many thousands could descend on it.

Exactly my thinking. It's bad enough on a Friday night when there is also something on at the Arena.

It is confirmed. There will be no public access to cineworld parking. Staff will have to walk that day. I rather see the tour than a movie but a big parking opportunity has been dumped

Seems odd that no exception could be made for the staff, I can imagine public transport will be very busy on Sunday and people working will get caught out.

Dragging this thread back to cycling, seems Wiggins is injured and out of the Tour of Switzerland and almost certainly out of the Tour de France.

Article about Wincobank and elsewhere in the favourite read of the tree-hugging liberal do-gooders pro-cycling brigade;

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2014/jun/19/tour-de-yorkshire-tour-de-france-2014-cote-de-wincobank

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 15:15 ----------

I remember watching tour the France from when I was a baby......

You remember things from when you were a baby?

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 15:18 ----------

There is going to be a spectator Hub at Hillsborough and another at Don Valley

Another at Abbeyfield Park; http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/grand-depart-sheffield/spectator-hubs-hospitality/wincobank-common-and-abbeyfield-park

It's not Sheffield specifically that was not interested, Road racing was historically a minority interest sport in the UK as a whole. Interest has increased in the last 10 or 15 years, breaking into mainstream analogue and digital TV, even before Wiggins and Cavendish came to the fore to add to British interest. Sheffield is (a typical) part of the UK. It has the same national TV as everywhere else in the UK. It's no more sleepy and isolated than any other part of the UK.

I've been able to watch 1 hour summary of the day's stages for years, on national TV, after I get in from work, and full stage coverage has been available for several years (but I don't see many because work gets in the way) - and that's without satellite TV, which has had coverage for even longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton

BBC does not report Tour the France with the same power and intensity as countries like Germany, Switzerland, Belgium or holland do.

BBC support of this event is not even half of what these other European countries give it.

Nobody at any time, NEVER EVER in all the years I have lived in Sheffield has ever chatted about the tour or its exciting developments while it is going on. Never in any pub, party, wedding. Yorkshire English just don't care.

In holland or Germany a cashier in a shop or someone checking your train ticket will chat about it.

You will not fool me, this excitement now is a display of some deep inner need of locals here being desperately hopeful for some international attention, the tour was never of any importance until it came here.

Well you have not mixed in the cycling fraternity who have regular get togethers while the Tour is on Channel 4 and Eurosport this complete with lots of wine ,cheese, and bunting.

Usually followed by a burn up to the nearest Derbyshire pub last man gets the first round in.