2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Here goes !!

Stage one - Saturday, 5 July

Leeds - Harewood - Otley - Ilkley - Skipton - Kettlewell - Aysgarth - Hawes - Reeth - Leyburn - Ripon - Harrogate

Stage two - Sunday, 6 July

York - Knaresborough - Silsden - Keighley - Haworth - Hebden Bridge - Elland - Huddersfield - Holmfirth - Sheffield

Stage three - Monday, 7 July

Cambridge - Epping Forest - the Olympic Park - the Mall

come in via the ring road, along by the train station, up arundal gate and finish outside Crucible/O2 nice wide roads for a sprint finish, plenty of crowd space ala Great Yorkshire run. Do the presentations outside the cathedral or city hall

I was having a think about where a finish in the center of town could be and that is pretty much what I came up with. Although I was thinking of it maybe coming up via Park Sq, Commerical St then Arundal Gate.

Looking at the route map http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route it looks like it does some sort of loop around Sheffield, after dropping down from Grenoside it heads up Herris Rd and onwards towards Meadowhall before looping back on itself. Doesn't look like its a finish slap bang in the center of town.

I mean the climb out from Holmfirth centre, up and past the transmitter and then down to the Woodhead road and then up to Flouch.

If it doesnt go that way then whoever organised the route was probably smoking crack and magic mushrooms and should be shot with a rubber chicken. It'd be crazy not to include the only decent road climb that the region can provide - when it was annouced it was coming to Yorkshire that is the only road that was guaranteed to be on it really...

http://letour.yorkshire.com/

Looks like it does infact take in the climb up Holme Moss to the transmitter tower, then drops down to Woodhead before heading towards Flouch Roundabout. Climb is far enough away from the finish in Sheffield that any breakaway will still get reeled back in for a sprint finish in Sheffield.

I'm probably going to sound really thick here, but why on earth is the Tour De FRANCE in ENGLAND???

I seem to think that it just means the finish is in France. Im sure there is also at least one stage in Belgium too.

hmmm, how much is this going to cost the city? thinks back to WSG

Will have cost the city a serious chunk of change to host a stage finish of the TDF but it will bring in far far more money into the city than what it will have cost to host.

I don't think non cyclist realize how big of an event this is going to be for the city.