2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Yes let's cancel any event from ever taking place in Sheffield again just incase someone might become distressed by it.

Football matches cancelled, half marathon cancelled***, BUPA 10k cancelled, Sheffield Grand Prix cancelled, Race For Life cancelled and so on and so on.

***if it does actually make a return for 2015.

I think the only way people are going to become distressed is by the scaremongering of certain denizens of Sheffield Forum.

Alas, this is not strictly true.

I refer you to an earlier post by someone other than myself.

Go on then, which post?

At the moment i'd happier to take the word of the emrgency services over yours.

Edited by 999tigger

Descending the Alps at 50 M.P.H. with just 5mm of rubber tyre between you and the tarmac [plus a couple of rubber brake blocks to hope you can stop if some object appears in the road ]seems to me to take a lot more skill and guts than riding an ultra safe motorised vehicle with all the modern brakes and safety gear.

First time I've heard motor cycle racing as "ultra safe" it takes a great deal of bravery and skill to push the machinery to it's limits with modern safety gear cycle racing is more a case of pushing your body to the limit there's obviously certain skills involved but most races are won on the basis of who cracks first. The sports are completely different but present fascinating challenges. I find cycling far more compelling myself the spectre of individuals using all their energy to destroy their opponent mentally and physically is something to relish.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 16:04 ----------

So you really think that the TDF who organise races all over the world for great profit would risk their reputation and allow someone's death to be caused by the emergency services not being able to get into the hospital? You're just being daft now, they wouldn't sanction the event without a proper plan.

We will enjoy watching the tour and be pleased seeing them riding through Sheffield.

It is great business, cycling has been changed from something genuine and transferred in a banking doping business fight of money, advertising, fighting to be a few minutes/seconds faster on 200 km cycling.

I am not against doing blooddfusion business on a bicycle, it is rather comical and have no objections against it, its not my problem, I don't cycle for money with bloodtransfusion, the tour is more than welcome to do it.

Edited by dutch

So even though all the information around says that emergency services will not be affected, you happily ignore it and you'd believe what a bloke on the internet said.

To be fair, if this is true I can't argue with that type of logic.

An article about the Tour in Yorkshire although it doesn't mention Sheffield;

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/22/yorkshire-infected-tour-de-france-fever-tim-lewis-stage-one-recce

Note - Mamils (middle-aged men in Lycra). And

"Drivers moan that they have to share the pristine new stretches of tarmac with "road-tax-dodging hippies" (despite the fact that "road tax" was abolished in 1937)."

Who could these drivers be?

Is it right the tour will be going up Jenkin and down Newman? If so what sort of time will they get there? Tried looking on the website but it's a little vague

According to the timetable (link below). The cyclists should be on Jenkin Rd

between 16.06 and 1637 depending on their speed

http://letour.yorkshire.com/documents/tdf/timings/TDF2014TimetableStage2.pdf