2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

https://www.google.co.uk/search?channel=sb&q=eroica+britannia+photos&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&ei=DRCoU8O4DM740gXi8IHoBw

Did anyone from the forum compete or just spectate on the Eroica this weekend. It was a real hoot.

Brilliant weekend, 2000 riders in all, we were waved and cheered on by big crowds in Bakewell, Tideswell, Eyam and numerous little flag waving groups at the roadside. My 35 year claud butler did the 30 mile ride no problem so I may move up to the 100 next year. Shame Look Leeds couldn't send a camera. I spoke to a number of riders from the US who were staying in hotels in Sheffield before heading to the event. Told us we had a fine city and how lucky we were to have all that stunning countryside right on our doorstep. If L'Eroica is a foretaste of what we can expect for the big ride will be a great weekend on 5th / 6th

I certainly wasn't going to trouble Malcolm Elliot's long standing record time on the Monsal Head climb. I was just happy not to have to get off and walk up it.

Driving around Sheffield early this morning, I was going to ask when are the council going to give motorist road side advance notice of road closures as I noticed no signs had gone up yet.

But on a drive up to Grenoside this afternoon it looks like the council have been out in force at some point today. Road closures notices up and warnings that any vehicle on the route on Sunday 6th will get towed.

Why do we need 'reminders'? It's the 'tour de france', anyone interested in it knows when it's on, or can easily google it if they don't.

More publicity=£££, and we live in times when funding is being cut for mental health services, people are being forced to leave their homes due to the 'bedroom tax' and, a whole host of other extremely destructive cuts cos apparently, we're really short of cash.

Yet money is being thrown away for sporting events, several of which have already lost us huge amounts of cash that could have been used to actually help vulnerable people.

It is only the first time in its 110 year existence that tour comes to England, they have started in Ireland once and in many other neighbouring countries.

I am not surprised that after all that time they finally decided to pop by Yorkshire.

TDF is all about money, fame, world recognition. If that money and fame would not be there maybe only one or two of these cyclist would complete the complete tour goodhearted and others would only do one or two of the stages for fun without worrying being the first.

Sheffield thinks it is a better place now this tour stage is going to finish here once quickly. Then many will chitter chatter with others at parties and weddings and mention how their little city called Sheffield in the north hosted that finish and who won with how much advantage from peloton and how the weather was, etc. Nothing else can be done with it once it is gone.

Money and prearranging are needed for this tour and it can't be done cheaply. Who decides how much is too much? That is impossible because no matter how much you do it is not enough, more can be done and also too much at the same time, more could be saved.

In two months few will care what this tour was all about. We will be donating food to the food banks for hungry people who needed assistance while council taxes are rising and another interesting identifying story to impress others can be attached to the name Sheffield.

It is only the first time in its 110 year existence that tour comes to England, they have started in Ireland once and in many other neighbouring countries.

I am not surprised that after all that time they finally decided to pop by Yorkshire.

TDF is all about money, fame, world recognition. If that money and fame would not be there maybe only one or two of these cyclist would complete the complete tour goodhearted and others would only do one or two of the stages for fun without worrying being the first.

Sheffield thinks it is a better place now this tour stage is going to finish here once quickly. Then many will chitter chatter with others at parties and weddings and mention how their little city called Sheffield in the north hosted that finish and who won with how much advantage from peloton and how the weather was, etc. Nothing else can be done with it once it is gone.

Money and prearranging are needed for this tour and it can't be done cheaply. Who decides how much is too much? That is impossible because no matter how much you do it is not enough, more can be done and also too much at the same time, more could be saved.

In two months few will care what this tour was all about. We will be donating food to the food banks for hungry people who needed assistance while council taxes are rising and another interesting identifying story to impress others can be attached to the name Sheffield.

Lol, it's not the first time le Tour has come to England, the first was in Plymouth in 1974, that last time was 2007.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Lol, it's not the first time le Tour has come to England, the first was in Plymouth in 1974, that last time was 2007.

It also visited our shores in 1994 as well. Something to do with the Eurotunnel opening that year I think. So this year would be it's 4th visit to England and 2nd time hosting the grand depart. I'm very surprised DUTCH didn't know this.

Edited by DYKWIA

It also visited our shores in 1994 as well. Something to do with the Eurotunnel opening that year I think. So this year would be it's 4th visit to England and 2nd time hosting the grand depart. I'm very surprised DUTCH didn't know this.

I sorta watched the le Tour when it came to Plymouth in 1974 by proxy when my parents went to watch it a couple of weeks before I was born.

It appears my example has been lost.

The point was that because you learned to ride a bike in times gone past and now and then manage to wobble yourself along on your bike, you feel that cycling has no skill. My point was that because babies learn to walk early in life, then by your deduction, all forms of walking must also be unskilled. But if you think about it tightroping is a form of walking, so by constraining your your mindset, this may explain why you are unable to see cycling in other contexts and recognise it requires skill at a professional level.

I've cycled out into Derbyshire today on my Trek 930 Singletrak as it happens, totally unaware that you were following ... otherwise, how would you know that I wobble?

Although I guess I've covered around 30 miles, the only skill I was aware of using was being aware of other road users (cars mainly) and ensuring I was not holding them up by pulling right over to the edge of the road (pulling in and stopping twice). This is a 'skill' that many pedal cyclists seem unable to grasp (a bunch of them yesterday cycling uphill in Mayfield valley at speeds approaching 5mph, totally not caring about the queue of traffic behind them, being a recent example). Apart from that, a simple ride using the most basic form of transport.

Your somewhat silly analogy to tightrope walking would only work if you were to cycle along the tightrope (

). Even that's just a question of balance ... hardly difficult after a little practice is it?

Cars that have zero emissions also do not pay road tax. Here's a list of cars for example.

At least you admit pedal cyclists don't pay road tax.

So the owners of the vehicles you mentioned don't have to don't pay road tax as well as pedal cyclists.

Two wrongs never make a right.

And does not alter the fact that pedal cyclists don't pay road tax.

At least with the other exempt vehicles they have 3rd party insurance and their vehicle has to be fit for the road.

Emissions or not they still have to have a tax disc displayed on them. Pedal cycles do not.

Is it really any wonder that other road users get hacked off with pedal cyclists, especially when even IF they know the highway code or basic trafiic laws they choose to ignore them.

Edited by Tommo68
to edit