2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

I have a feeling that they are putting the vague signs up in an attempt to discourage unnecessary car journeys, to give the impression that more roads will be closed than actually are.

I currently don't NEED to get to work on the day of the race, so will be doing anything that might involve travel during the week or Saturday. I do appreciate that some people DO have to get places or that emergencies / sudden unavoidable issues happen. So it's helpful to everyone if I don't make an unnecessary trip and clog up the roads that are open and will be more congested than normal. For the majority the world won't stop if they don't partake in a particular Sunday ritual for one single Sunday of their lives - leaving it free for those who do have a genuine NEED (rather than a desire) to make a journey.

Never expected you to some kind of extensive knowledge of days years towns and city's the race has visited with a brain full of stats but clearly you have some knowledge of the race. You've watched it for hours on end and it's a huge talking point over in mainland europe. One would have expected you to have at least known that the race has visited England before.

My knowledge about tour the france became old useless and historic when I left Europe and stayed that way in Sheffield. You don't see or hear much about it in day to day life here, but new knowledge about other interesting things entered my life in Sheffield.

There are only very few here who have ever watched complete stages of the tour before or followed professional racing cycling.

Now all of a sudden they come to Sheffield/south Yorkshire many pretend to know all about it.

I don't know everything about it, it is not a big interest to me any longer otherwise I would not have come here and gone somewhere else.

Only reason people get angry is because it is true that all this sudden knowledge and interest is only because they are coming here, it was not there before.

---------- Post added 25-06-2014 at 10:12 ----------

When someone develops an interest in something and goes out there to develop that interest that interest is complete and authentic.

When a big international event that has been around for more than 100 years comes right to your city while closing main roads and public transport someone shows interest it is only coincidental.

A coincidental interest is not authentic or original. It only started because the event came with such force it is almost impossible to ignore it.

Tour the france is very sexist, there are no women taking part in it. Right insulting as Beryl Burton was from west Yorkshire. We should get a right load of woman cycling that day handing Liquorice allsorts to the TDF riders

Edited by dutch

Yes you're right, I drove passed a little slower tonight and they say " Roads Closed on 6th July " not Road Closed but they are not saying which roads so better check in advance.

As Church St in Oughtibrige is part of the race route, it will be closed

I would expect The A6102 will be open as far as the Church St junction. and coming from Stocksbridge will be open as far as the Church St junction

Edited by bazjea

It's listed as closed on the council website tho isn't it??

It is closed at the Church St Junction as I said. If you print Map7.You can clearly see the Route at Oughtibridge in bright red and a blue square where the road is closed. The A6102 is in paler red which is the normal colour for an A road on a map

Here's a link for info of road closures, car parking and pedestrian access in Bradfield.

You can book your car for a parking space, as there's lots of events happening there over the weekend.

It's going to be a popular viewing point.

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8f678a922bc1fa2ce01fabe43&id=3dabe090d7

Here's a link to the homepage http://www.steelstage.co.uk/

Edited by lilypiglet
ADD!!!

Why are you surprised? I don't bother keeping statistical information pumped in my head like most people do, rather give it the room and space to enjoy every moment as it comes.
mmm .. from the tone of your posts on here, it would seem that the space for enjoyment of things is currently limited. The TDF is coming early July, make sure you have space available to jump onto the bandwagon of mass wellbeing

Are you sure it actually says road closed. All the signs I've seen have said road closures.

Well in that case it is a really stupid way of doing things. You are driving down a road in traffic you don't have time to work out what some idiot meant. At 50mph you see a sign saying road closed on 6th July or whatever. Its all you have time to take in. I don't need a sign on the parkway telling me about road closures elsewhere. The lunatics have taken over the assylum. I wonder how many folk flashed past the signs and will avoid Sheffield on the 6th July.

For crying out loud the TdF is barely brushing Sheffield and they are sticking out confusing signs bloody miles away.