2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

As you don't want to believe what others, not just me, have said then why not ask the emergency services yourself.

Selfish and self-centred people will ignore anything that may detract from what they want or from their pleasure, despite the actual or potential effect on others. So I don't imagine that you will bother checking anything out for yourself.

So care to tell us what extra risk people are being exposed to and for how long?

As far as I understand it there may be a short delay if the emergency services have to cross the route, but thats only going to be like any blue light service crossing an intersection i.e they will use their common sense and let the vehicles cross. Not really going to take a fire engine more than a minute to cross the road. There are at least 60 allocated crossing points which all drivers know will be the places to go.

The actual cycle race is only going to be within the city boundaries for 1-2h.

I do think you are scaremongering tommo.

You dont like cycling or cyclists.

You dont want the event to happen.

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 14:01 ----------

Alas, this is not strictly true.

I refer you to an earlier post by someone other than myself.

Still waiting for you to link us up.

Trying to get to work Sunday afternoon is going to be impossible. I live at s5 an need to get to the university in s10. Has anybody got any ideas of a route?

bus to Chapeltown, train into Sheffield then tram up to University?

Easier might be to head into town in the morning before the roads close.

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 15:01 ----------

SUPERTRAM PARK & RIDE ON SUNDAY 6 JULY

the car parks at Nunnery Square, Middlewood and Halfway will be open as normal.

car parking plus one days unlimited tram travel for the driver £4.50

car parking plus one days unlimited tram travel for a family (2 adults 2 children) £6.50

Still waiting for you to link us up.

Within this thread, don't be lazy.

And you'd be really content with the emergency services being delayed by a minute when responding to call by a member of your family. ... Does your family know that?

An extra minute a child trapped in a burning house; because a foreign event was taking place in Sheffield without our even being consulted.

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 15:14 ----------

Trying to get to work Sunday afternoon is going to be impossible. I live at s5 an need to get to the university in s10. Has anybody got any ideas of a route?

You mean the council has not told you yet?

Plenty of non-selfcentred pro-tdf fans on here will be willing to tell you exactly the best route.

And you'd be really content with the emergency services being delayed by a minute when responding to call by a member of your family. ... Does your family know that?

An extra minute a child trapped in a burning house; because a foreign event was taking place in Sheffield without our even being consulted.

To put your claim into perspective there has been over 100 Tour de France events each event has gone through many many cities, towns and villages, and none has ever led to an incident where the emergency services couldn't to their job in a timely manner.

To put your claim into perspective there has been over 100 Tour de France events each event has gone through many many cities, towns and villages, and none has ever led to an incident where the emergency services couldn't to their job in a timely manner.

NONE! I'd really like to you to be able to prove that. But you can't.

Someone's luck is going to run out sometime and that is unfortunately an inevitability.

NONE! I'd really like to you to be able to prove that. But you can't.

Someone's luck is going to run out sometime and that is unfortunately an inevitability.

They do not rely upon luck, they can stop the race if the emergency services need to cross the race.

They stop cycle races all the time. A couple of weeks ago they stopped the race for Criterium du Dauphine when Froome crashed so he could catch up. In the Tour of Turkey they stopped the race because of heavy rain and a couple of years ago they stopped the Tour de France when protestors put tacks on the route causing punctures until people could catch up.

They do not rely upon luck, they can stop the race if the emergency services need to cross the race.

They stop cycle races all the time. A couple of weeks ago they stopped the race for Criterium du Dauphine when Froome crashed so he could catch up. In the Tour of Turkey they stopped the race because of heavy rain and a couple of years ago they stopped the Tour de France when protestors put tacks on the route causing punctures until people could catch up.

Indeed. In the Tour of Switzerland riders sometimes have to stop at train level crossings to allow trains through, so it is not a case of the race taking priority over everything else. Emergency access is paramount at events like this. I think Tommo's real problem is summed up by the phrase "some foreign event". At least that means his ramblings can be dismissed as those of a deluded xenophobe.

Taken from the Tour de France FAQ page.

WILL EMERGENCY SERVICES VEHICLES BE ABLE TO GET ACCESS?

Yes, police, fire and ambulance services are closely involved in the planning of the Tour. The safety of residents and visitors is a priority and emergencies will be treated in the usual way.

Organisers will be working closely with all the emergency services throughout the event to ensure that access is given to vehicles on blue lights as a priority throughout the road closures.

Your the one making the claim Tommo. You back it up. Youve been asked several times to. You seem to be the only one who is banging on about the severe risks.

Events happen. I trust the professionalism of the emergency services plus the fact they have had many months to plan for the event that they know what they are doing as opposed to your scaremongering. Most journeys will not cross the route for the few hours it is active.

Blue light services are allowed to cross the route. What people can do is be a bit more vigilant that day,use and use some common sense as they should do anyway.

Good for you for pointing out your objection to the event being foreign. Best laugh yet.

Lets face it Tommo youd be moaning about it if it was a road race or any cycle race.